Discuss Advice transferring from domestic to industrial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm 23 years old and I have 4 years experience in the electrical world. (3 as an apprentice and 1 after I qualified)
Next week I start my new job, but I am going from domestic to industrial. I've had experience with containment systems, SWA, FP, and a little bit of MICC and SY.

In the interview I was 100% honest with them about the experience I had. They said that I would be put on a course to help me transition from domestic to industrial.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should be researching to help me learn more about industrial work? I want to go in with a bit of knowledge and I am really keen to learn. I would like to have a bit of knowledge before I go into my new job.

Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

TL;DR
Advice for a domestic electrician moving into the industrial world.
Industrial to me instantly speaks 3-phase, 'Commando' plugs & sockets, tray, HVAC, genny and Events power, and panel building; so maybe find a good book for each. Other skill set include MWEP, Rope Access and CompEx so might be useful to know something about them, even if just what they are.

Industrial work is a very broad section of the industry, do you have any more information as to the type of work you will be doing?
In veru broad terms is it installation or maintainenece?
Will you be working for a contractor or will you be working for a particular site?
Is it heavy industrial such as a foundry or something lighter such as electronics manufacturing?

Industrial work is a very broad section of the industry, do you have any more information as to the type of work you will be doing?
In veru broad terms is it installation or maintainenece?
Will you be working for a contractor or will you be working for a particular site?
Is it heavy industrial such as a foundry or something lighter such as electronics manufacturing?

Thank you for replying. I'll be working for a steel works directly as one of their day electricians. I think it will be a mixture of installation and maintenance work for them.
Sorry, I'm greener than grass when it comes to industrial work.
[automerge]1577680886[/automerge]
Industrial to me instantly speaks 3-phase, 'Commando' plugs & sockets, tray, HVAC, genny and Events power, and panel building; so maybe find a good book for each. Other skill set include MWEP, Rope Access and CompEx so might be useful to know something about them, even if just what they are.
Thank you very much. I will look into them and do my research.

I expect they will pair you up with an experienced spark to mentor you through the transition for anything up to the first 12months.

A huge amount of your training will involve health and safety.

Lock off and isolation procedures
Working at height
Mewp (scissor lifts and other mobile work platforms)
Permit to work systems
Risk assessment
Manual handling

Above is not an exhaustive list but a good place to start.

By the way, best of luck in your new job, you WILL LEARN A LOT in the next 12 months.

Good luck. Keep your wits about you... and your ears open.
Your starting next week so not much point buying books now. It's pretty heavy industrial so I'd just do a bit of looking up on 3 phase industrial supplies, control and switchgear but don't do too much. H&S is important. Stay calm and show your willingness to learn.

I expect they will pair you up with an experienced spark to mentor you through the transition for anything up to the first 12months.

A huge amount of your training will involve health and safety.

Lock off and isolation procedures
Working at height
Mewp (scissor lifts and other mobile work platforms)
Permit to work systems
Risk assessment
Manual handling

Above is not an exhaustive list but a good place to start.

By the way, best of luck in your new job, you WILL LEARN A LOT in the next 12 months.
Thank you very much.
I cannot wait to start learning!
[automerge]1577752321[/automerge]
Good luck. Keep your wits about you... and your ears open.
Your starting next week so not much point buying books now. It's pretty heavy industrial so I'd just do a bit of looking up on 3 phase industrial supplies, control and switchgear but don't do too much. H&S is important. Stay calm and show your willingness to learn.
Thank you very much.
I'm very H&S conscious as it is, but I'm looking forward to it.
[automerge]1577752435[/automerge]
Industry - More energy / lower source impedance's !
( Better pay )
Thank you. I'll do some research this week :)

Never mind the LV. You’ll be dealing potentially with control circuitry albeit Relay control systems or PLC’s. Local control for Stop starts. Maybe even some process instrumentation.
VSD’s VFD’s For motor soft start.
ACB or OCB racking. The list is endless.

You’ll find your Skill set and knowledge will progress a lot further. Especially doing reactive or preventative maintenance. No disrespect to the Domestic blokes but a lot of advanced control wiring. Something little more testing than a 2 way switch. At 23 you’ll love it and there wouldn’t be too much expectation. They will be looking to mould you. So you must have had a good attitude. Enjoy it mate.

Reply to Advice transferring from domestic to industrial in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock