Discuss Alternator failing to produce power until revs rise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi people . My first post .
I have a 1989 turbo diesel Landcruiser with a 24 volt system . The alternator , for many years has needed to be spun up before it began to produce power and the dash lights extinguished . About 1250 engine rpm or three times that for the alternator . Recently it would not work at all so I pulled it off and gave it to the auto electrician . The regulator , brushes , bearings and the vacuum pump seal were replaced and I re-fitted the unit to the vehicle .
The alternator exhibited the same problem but now needs nearly 3000 engine rpm before it triggers and produces power .
Three wires to the alternator through the plug plus the main battery connection . The two 24v connections in the plug have power . The third is for the dash lights .
I pulled the unit off again and it bench tested fine . The auto elec. is a guy with a lot of experience and he is baffled . As am I .
Hoping someone can help

Heath

Has the auto electrician seen the vehicle and installation? If not
what kind of condition are the terminating cables in, and the earthing connections to the body? Are the batteries in good condition?
Is the pulley in good condition along with the belt , and not slipping .
Also are the battery connections to positive and negative in good condition to their respective terminations?
Assuming the alternator is ok as you have faith in the Auto Electrician, the problem seems to be one of delivery to the system or battery, unless this vehicle has external alternator controls that I am not aware of ( the auto spark would know that anyway). My memory is not great and I have not even seen one of those for years.
I think @PEG is an expert on these.
[automerge]1591438025[/automerge]
Has the auto electrician seen the vehicle and installation? If not
what kind of condition are the terminating cables in, and the earthing connections to the body? Are the batteries in good condition?
Is the pulley in good condition along with the belt , and not slipping .
Also are the battery connections to positive and negative in good condition to their respective terminations?
Assuming the alternator is ok as you have faith in the Auto Electrician, the problem seems to be one of delivery to the system or battery, unless this vehicle has external alternator controls that I am not aware of ( the auto spark would know that anyway). My memory is not great and I have not even seen one of those for years.
I think @PEG is an expert on these.
Ps . It may have a free-wheeling alternator pulley that is goosed.

Last edited:
The auto lec has seen the installation . Cables good . The batteries are good . The earth between the alternator and the vehicle shows no resistance .
I thought maybe that the current through the connecting plug may be passing through a dodgy relay so I wired direct from the batteries to test that idea . No change . Direct drive pulley .

Did they check the bridge rectifier assembly? Was it new when you got it?

Typically the alternator relies on residual magnetism in the rotor (and/or the current from the indicator bulb) to get the stator voltage up when running in a sort of positive feedback arrangement as once the stator is generating power it feeds the rotor to fully magnetise it (at least, until the regulator pulls it back to keep the output voltage at an appropriate level).

It might seem like a dumb question, but is it a 12V alternator that has had a 24V regulator fitted?

Is this an original installation? If it is not have the pulley ratios been checked. It sounds like the alternator is not spinning fast enough at tick over.

Put in a larger warning lamp bulb. With some alternators there was a resistor in parallel with the bulb, may be that resistor is open circuit. It uses the current through warning light bulb to kick it all off.

Hi,i will do my best,but i have had a lot more Nissans,as the Toyota versions were much dearer and no better in the gloop:)

What version is this,a HJ60/61? from what i can remember,the alternators were fairly low powered,with the lowest power regulated externally. There was also an ignition main relay hidden away,which could be a source of fun.

Without knowing the exact system,it's all a bit guess-worthy,but if it has original gear,and has always needed a good rev the initiate charge,i would check the wattage/connections,of that charge lamp.

Your auto electrician would have had to do this,to check charge/no charge and output,to determine alternator was fine. A quick measure of crank and alternator pulley,would give you the alternator rpm V engine rpm,and therefore charge initiation speed.

These are pretty robust and straightforward machines,i would be surprised if it was a rocket science fault :cool:

Thanks for the replies people . Yes, the alternator is original installation .The pulley ratios look about 1 to 3 . Motor to alternator.
I will wire the alternator up directly using more resistance in the warning light circuit and get back to you .

HJ61 Peg. The vehicle was a grey import to Australia .I have had it since 2005 . The alternator is self contained with no external regulation 24 volt . 50 or 60 amps I think

Thanks very much people :)
I tried putting a resistor in series with the charge light wire with no result . The lights stayed on until the engine hit 3000 rpm .
I next wired up the alternator direct from the batteries with the plug out of the equation . An 8 ohm resistor used to simulate the charge lights . The alternator began to produce power on startup . So , I am thinking power is not reaching the alternator through the charge light wire . The charge lights must be a parallel circuit . Putting current to it extinguishes the charge lights .
Somewhere a relay , whose job it is to send power to the alternator through the charge light wire is not functioning . Finding that and finding a replacement is going to be fun so , in the interim , I will splice power to the wire through a momentary switch .

Yep,from what you have described,it sounds like the charge indicator lamp is not heavy enough. Try an independently powered lamp of 2 to 4 watts,see if this kicks it in to life.

The ignition relay is in one of the usual places,if this is faulty,and i would seek it out,before i bypassed anything.

I vaguely remember one or sometimes two fuses,on the charge circuit,not including the links on the heavier cables.

Find the problem,and it will not only make it more reliable,but greatly simplify any future diagnosis.

Yep,from what you have described,it sounds like the charge indicator lamp is not heavy enough. Try an independently powered lamp of 2 to 4 watts,see if this kicks it in to life.

The ignition relay is in one of the usual places,if this is faulty,and i would seek it out,before i bypassed anything.

I vaguely remember one or sometimes two fuses,on the charge circuit,not including the links on the heavier cables.

Find the problem,and it will not only make it more reliable,but greatly simplify any future diagnosis.
I agree with you , it is obviously a cherished vehicle and just getting it working, as to the satisfaction of getting it back to working, and in original condition.

Good luck mate , and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
They are one of a kind.

I got hold of the relevant wiring diagram and have found the Charge Light Relay which appears to be working .
That is interesting and a bit more complicated than the older car alternators. It seems here the indicator lamp is simply that - it is not the source of rotor start-current, that goes vie the 'IG' line to the alternator.

Are you cable to measure the current on the IG line? Safest would be a low current DC clamp ammeter (most are AC only but an auto electrician might have one that goes down to under 1A).

I agree with PC1966, another way if you cant get a DC clamp meter would be to put a 24v supply direct to the ign terminal, if this fixes the fault it means there is a resistance in the ign wire somewhere (a terminal or inside the relay) if it doesn't fix it, I would check the diode and resistor between the ign terminal and the rectifier inside the alternator.
Good luck

I got hold of the relevant wiring diagram and have found the Charge Light Relay which appears to be working .

OK,so the ignition relay and two fuses i remember,are on that diagram...identify and test both,and if the charge relay and wiring are ok,it should not be hard to find the culprit :)

After studying the circuit I think the problem lies after the IG connection enters the alternator . Either the diode or the resistor is open circuit . Current should move through the diode and resistor and the reduced voltage thereafter energises the rotor . This reduced voltage should be present and able to be measured in wire L which goes back to the ignition light relay and is blocked by the zener diodes . When the alternator begins to produce power the voltage rises in wire L , the zener diodes allow current through which activates the relay and cuts current to the warning lights .
There is no voltage at wire L when the ignition is on .
I have tapped into wire L using a momentary switch and the alternator produces power as soon as it it pressed .
I can see where there would be difficulty in identifying this problem up with a bench test .

Reply to Alternator failing to produce power until revs rise in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock