• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss American qualified, help needed! in the New Member Introductions area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not open for further replies.


New EF Member

My husband is American, he's 29 and (to American standards) is a fully qualified electrician. They operate on a 'time served' system, everyone takes the equivalent to 17th edition to be up on the wiring regulations and then just learns on the job.

He has 9 years experience, mainly in commercial/industrial environments. We've been settled back in the UK for 12 months and he's sat his 17th edition and got his ECS card. He's been working through an agency on a couple of job sites in the UK, technically a 'mate' but doing electricians work (not getting electricians rates though of course!)

The problem we seem to have is he needs his NVQ, to get his NVQ he needs to be on a job site long enough to complete all the portfolio work but to get work with a company long enough to complete the portfolio he seems to have to have the NVQ :confused:

Is there any place which does an intensive course? Like a few weeks with on-site simulation to get the boxes ticked and the certificate signed?

Any help or advice is greatly received. If an intensive course isn't an option could I have some feedback on the online training providers?


Regular EF Member
Has he or can he talk with the organisation who advise on "translation" of foreign qualifications to British qualifications? That being NARIC. Maybe that may be an even faster method of qualifying here.

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
As Vortigern said NARIC is your first port of call as they work with JIB to manage the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Have a look at the following site
NARIC - International applications to the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) - https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/Occupations/New%20policy%20for%20international%20applicants%20to%20ECS.aspx
it does mention USA on there as one of the countries that are recognised.

According to the JIb who issue the gold cards. you need the American qualifications/licence to be validated by Naric, sit the 17th edition (already done you said?) sit the ECS health adn safety course, assuming already done as you said he has a ECS card? and then pass the AM2..
Non-UK Qualifications - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/Non-UK-Qualifications

Best of luck


New EF Member
Thanks for your help. He doesn't have any formal qualifications. In the US you can sit exams and go to college or you can be a time served electrician where your hours and references are enough to get you work and moved up the ladder. I've tried contacting NARIC but the phone queue was long and my lunch break was over before they answered.
Would you know if it's worth pursuing considering that he has no formal certificates to exchange? I can't imagine they would accept references and give him an NVQ or whatever.:(


Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
JIB have a scheme called mature candidate assessment, whereby he'd need to show his competence.that may be worth researching.
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.