Discuss AV Home cinema!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

right seen as im rebuilding my lounge i may as well do it correctly and how i want it!

so out goes a radiator and incomes a Home cinema!!

where do i start!!

Ok Seen the TV i want and the Blu ray home cinema player

want to make it compatible with my PS3 . Wii and Sky...!!!

and ocassionally my Laptop..!

its all going in the wall so need it Sorting ASAP as boards going up on saturday! :)

rather than fit HDMI wall jacks im going for brush plates
Single gang brush strip plate - WHITE brush strip [single-brush-strip-WHITE] - £6.50 : AV Cables and Interconnects, UK Cables Shop

and my speaker i will install speaker jacks around the 3 corners of the room to plug into!

am i overlooking any thing??

Specs fella - what TV, what amp? Which Sky (HD, + or standard)...

Distances to speakers - how many speakers? 5.1, 7.1? Quality - DTS? Dolby HD?

Lot to consider.

Also worth putting in a dedicated circuit for your AV kit if the CU hasn't been finalised yet.

get some nice oak and mahogany-- build a wet bar in one corner.

TV = UE40C6000
Blu Ray = HT-C5500D 5.1 1000w amp
sky HD

K - TV not bad - can you stretch to the 8 series Samsung? MUCH better TV, plus you get the funky illuminated learning remote. And not to mention an absolutely f'ing gorgeous brushed titanium frame. I'm going for the 46" version as it happens.

Buy Samsung, UE40C8000, 40 Inch, 3D LED TV, Sky 3D, - Simply Electricals - best immediate price for the 8000. It's a million times the tv the 6000 is too, plus it has 3D which performs as well as its 2D.

The 5500 is fairly good kit - here cheap! SAMSUNG HT-C5500D 5.1Ch Blu-ray Home Cinema System (Exclusive model with Wifi dongle included) :: Home Entertainment :: Electronics :: BroadBuyer at £276 might leave a bit more budget for the telly!!!!

Alternatively, a much better unit, and giving the 3D too.....the HTC6930 SAMSUNG HTC6930W/XEU HT-C6930 7.1ch Full HD 1080p 3D Blu Ray Home Cinema Systemat £530 or so. 7.1 Surround too.

Both of these have network access too, for Netflix, YouTube, and various other online move sources/rentals. I think both are Wifi, but I'd run a Cat5 for each too - you want reliability of bandwidth, so wired is definitely best.

With the Sky, PS3, and the Wii, and the laptop, you can stand an 8 way hub in your rack too!

---

OK. Main problem is going to be processing all your inputs. With an all in one solution, you're always going to be limited in what you can input through the processor.

Ideally you want at least three HDMI inputs on your processor - with either of the 5500 or the 6930 you've only got two.

That's the PS3 and the Sky HD taken care of, and the Wii would have to go through the TV direct, or use an HDMI switch box, as would the lappy.

A lot will depend on what your budget is mate - and what you want out of it. You'd get far higher clarity of HD source too with a 46" screen than a 40, but again space dictates. The UE40xxxx is a good choice in any case, given you can get your set up for around £900 online. Budget allowing, I'd always go for a separate AV receiver and DVD player, purely for connectivity, and quality.

Based around the UE46-8000, I'm budgeting to spend about £2500 - £3000, but that includes for the KEF 3005 egg speakers too - the DON of home cinema. The real irony of all of that, is obviously I now have to look for a house to put it all into, as I don't think my parents would be too happy with me ripping up their home for an install of such proportions for a couple of months - or the fact that they'd probably hear nothing but whatever movie I happened to be watching :D

What is your budget, just out of curiosity?

by time he's done all that, Bill, you'd better install a sprinkler system to cool him down

If you can get your hands on a Pioneer plasma snap it up , they've pulled out the hardware market but all their engineers went over to panasonic so if you want an equivalent quality screen go for one of theirs, wouldn't torch LED with a barge pole. Plus the old pioneers had a separate media box so only two cables are required at the screen end, rather than having to squeeze all the HDMI and other leads to it. Oh and B&W M1 surround sound speakers are great too the big PV1 sub is incredible! Denon Blue rays are very good maybe with a matching AV receiver or Arcam

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get your hands on a Pioneer plasma snap it up , they've pulled out the hardware market but all their engineers went over to panasonic so if you want an equivalent quality screen go for one of theirs, wouldn't torch LED with a barge pole. Plus the old pioneers had a separate media box so only two cables are required at the screen end, rather than having to squeeze all the HDMI and other leads to it.

There is that - had a 5 series Pioneer Plasma, which is still going strong. I don't think even now you can beat the black levels on a good plasma screen. However, backlit LED screens have narrowed the field a hell of a lot.

The other downside of plasma, of course is that they don't handle 3D well, and you have the considerations of transport and weight too. Plasmas are generally a lot heavier, and have to be transported upright. Dead pixels are also a lot more noticeable on a plasma, against an LCD screen.

Don't get me wrong - I too was a die hard plasma man until recently. The quality of the latest Samsung panels on the 8000 and 9000 is every bit the equal of the best current plasmas - and a lot cheaper.

There is that - had a 5 series Pioneer Plasma, which is still going strong. I don't think even now you can beat the black levels on a good plasma screen. However, backlit LED screens have narrowed the field a hell of a lot.

The other downside of plasma, of course is that they don't handle 3D well, and you have the considerations of transport and weight too. Plasmas are generally a lot heavier, and have to be transported upright. Dead pixels are also a lot more noticeable on a plasma, against an LCD screen.

Don't get me wrong - I too was a die hard plasma man until recently. The quality of the latest Samsung panels on the 8000 and 9000 is every bit the equal of the best current plasmas - and a lot cheaper.

I hear what your saying LED are lighter, thinner, have less problems with pixels and are cheaper to run, at the mo we have the Pioneer KRP-500 and it uses around 400w it's like a small rad on the wall lol. As for 3D it's a gimmick unfortunately that will inevitably supersede normal HD TV I really don't find it pleasurable watching 3D films or TV even when you don't have to watch the thing with googles on. This isn't because I'm an old fuddy duddy that doesn't like change at 23 I love my gadgets and new tech but 3D TV's are only good for gaming in my opinion. The other slight problem with LED TV's is that they are far too sharp!!, when I was up at a department store the other day they had a Lowe LED running a blue ray version of I am Legend, the guy I was standing besides said the same thing as I was thinking, it looks Pre production like the lighting affects and smoothness hadn't been added yet it just looked a bit too clinical or artificial it's hard to explain. Anyway we asked the sales guy whether it was a pre production version of the film he said no and intermated that you couldn't beat plasmas for contrast and speed of picture. Alas I think I will be a die hard Plasma fan until there phased out for not being green enough:p

the lengths some people will go to to make a **** film realistic!!

hi bill...!! budget is around 1.7k insurance ar paying about 1k of it!

will look at the 3d models!! :)

Have a look on Whathifi see whats the best rated system, then try and match it down richer sounds or hyperfi to get the best deals, you may get a system far better than your budget would alow elsewhere.

http://www.richersounds.com/

http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/

WhatHiFi's budget system comes in under budget and it's separates

http://www.whathifi.com/BestBuys/Home-cinema-BestBuys/Budget/

hi bill...!! budget is around 1.7k insurance ar paying about 1k of it!

will look at the 3d models!! :)

Worth spending on the 8000 and the 6930 then mate - the differences are a whole level up and then some!

If you can, go and road test them first too, to make sure you like what you're seeing!

Get the screen right, the rest is easier to upgrade as time goes on!

Reply to AV Home cinema!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net