Discuss Beginner House wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
How do I know if i will need a 240 V or a 120 V? Wiring my own home for the first time and i am trying not to overwhelm myself with research but also educate myself. I plan to do 100% of the wiring myself and I wanted to know how i will know if i am using 240 or 120 and if that is based on my appliances, how will i know with existing appliances what i will need? I assume most people dont check major appliances electrical compatibility before buying them so how will i know things like washer, dryer, fridge will all work? OR on the flipside if the appliances i already have will be able to wire right into my box? FOR EX: what if i have a 120 v fridge but another major appliance is needing a 240? Is there some sort of convert I can use to double/half my volts to make everything wire in safely or what? Prefer to not mix if it is not safe or recommended to avoid fire hizards! I plan to turn a shed into a tiny house and i am wanting to learn up on what ill need. Also, how does the distance affect the guage? It will be a tiny home so i assume i wont have to worry about upping the guage for distance. How set in stone is the guage? Is it okay if i accidently run a guage one size up or down to avoid buying another wire size or is that a big nono? And final question, what is the denominator over some of these wire gauges example (12/3, 12/2)?

How do I know if i will need a 240 V or a 120 V? Wiring my own home for the first time and i am trying not to overwhelm myself with research but also educate myself. I plan to do 100% of the wiring myself and I wanted to know how i will know if i am using 240 or 120 and if that is based on my appliances, how will i know with existing appliances what i will need? I assume most people dont check major appliances electrical compatibility before buying them so how will i know things like washer, dryer, fridge will all work? OR on the flipside if the appliances i already have will be able to wire right into my box? FOR EX: what if i have a 120 v fridge but another major appliance is needing a 240? Is there some sort of convert I can use to double/half my volts to make everything wire in safely or what? Prefer to not mix if it is not safe or recommended to avoid fire hizards! I plan to turn a shed into a tiny house and i am wanting to learn up on what ill need. Also, how does the distance affect the guage? It will be a tiny home so i assume i wont have to worry about upping the guage for distance. How set in stone is the guage? Is it okay if i accidently run a guage one size up or down to avoid buying another wire size or is that a big nono? And final question, what is the denominator over some of these wire gauges example (12/3, 12/2)?
My friend everything you just said has to have it’s own circuit. Dryer is 240 vac with neutral so you would need 10/3 romex on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The range would need 240vac with a 40 amp breaker with 8/3 romex. Fridge is 120vac on a 20 amp single pole breaker with 12/2 romex. Microwave is same as fridge. Washing machine is a 20amp single pole breaker with 12/2 romex. Now the NEC states all appliances in the laundry room has to be on a GFCI BREAKER for the dryer and a GFCI receptacle for the washing machine.

My friend everything you just said has to have it’s own circuit. Dryer is 240 vac with neutral so you would need 10/3 romex on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The range would need 240vac with a 40 amp breaker with 8/3 romex. Fridge is 120vac on a 20 amp single pole breaker with 12/2 romex. Microwave is same as fridge. Washing machine is a 20amp single pole breaker with 12/2 romex. Now the NEC states all appliances in the laundry room has to be on a GFCI BREAKER for the dryer and a GFCI receptacle for the washing machine.
All the romex will have a ground wire with it

I am aware everything will hav
e to be on a seperate circuit but you didn’t totally answer what I was asking. I was asking what the fraction is like you’re saying “8/3” “12/2” I don’t know what that means. I know the first number is the size of the wire but idk what the second number stands for. And I know those listed have to be on it’s own circuit but how do I know if it’s 120 or 240 are certain things always 120 or 240 or do I check when I purchase. Also can you have both 240 and 120 or one or the other I don’t understand what that number means. Thanks!

in USA you have a supply whith 2 hots. each at 120V -N. aplliances that require 120V are 1 hot -N. those that require 240V are Hot - Hot. so you have 120v-N-120V. you need to ascertain what voltage (and current/load) your appliances require, and plan the wiring accordingly. Megawatt is better placed to advise you on cable types and sizes as he knows the US system and codes, which are different to ours in the Old World. Tower Bbridge (in London) has only recently converted to electric power over Steam.

I am aware everything will hav

e to be on a seperate circuit but you didn’t totally answer what I was asking. I was asking what the fraction is like you’re saying “8/3” “12/2” I don’t know what that means. I know the first number is the size of the wire but idk what the second number stands for. And I know those listed have to be on it’s own circuit but how do I know if it’s 120 or 240 are certain things always 120 or 240 or do I check when I purchase. Also can you have both 240 and 120 or one or the other I don’t understand what that number means. Thanks!
When I say 8/3 romex it means that you have 3 wires and 1 ground wire and #8 wire. Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and ask for what I told you. Again I told you everything in your house including the voltage and what size breaker and wire size and how many wires in each cable you would need. The only thing I left out was your water heater which will need # 10/2 romex at 240vac on a 30 amp breaker. My friend you need to get an electrician to help you install this project. Good luck

Reply to Beginner House wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net