Discuss Bonding Steelwork in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

ses

-
Reaction score
Hi chaps

Just been doing a small job at an industrial unit and cant find any bonding to the structural steelwork.

Now i have never had to bond steelwork before as its always been in before.

How do you attach the bonding to it?

I dont think my drill would drill through it.

Sorry if I sound like a pleb.

You need a better drill or alternativly if there is a hilty gun available you can get threaded head nails which the hilty gun will fire through the steelwork, then you just fit the crimped lug onto the screw and lock up with a nut and washers.

Ive got an 18v makita lithium ion drill maybe need a better drill bit then.

Your drill sounds meaty enough to be able to drill a 5.5 mm HSS bit into the steel work...then just tap it with a 6mm tap and use a lug and washer with a 6mm hole to bolt your earth conductor to the steel work...would only take 10mins

I use a Mag drill, requires two people one to hold and one to drill. Looks/sounds dangerous but i find its the quickest way with the tools im provided with. Thats for 10mm holes though.

You cannot drill structoral steelwork ever, usually one stud will be left out for an earth clamp fitted. If not then an 'earth clampng point' is welded on.
In the real world this never happens, so just drill a 10mm hole in the nearest a dearest and do your thing. You have done your bit, if the enginners have neglected not your problem

Dont forget your bonding label and its not acceptable to fit it under the bolt/screw it needs tie-wrapping a couple of inch away on the wire insulation.

sorry if this may sound stupid but have you already done a continuity fly lead test just in case it is earthed where youmay not see it,just an idea?
Considering most structural steel-work has its foundations into the ground thus has a earth path already i cant see what this test will prove, a good result will not mean an earth bond has been made.

just because the steel columns are bolted to the foundations does,nt mean they are at earth potential unless theres an earth bond from the rebar in the pile cap to the column and even then you still have to bond main steelwork back to the main earthbar, in fact you might have to do it a second time for lightning protection

yours benji

Wouldn't mind busting out the Hilti gun:D then technically your not drilling structral steel. I know you can't do this it's just a if only kind of thing.

i think if you checked with structual engineers /consultants you will find that if you drill & tap they will not object,
you could also ask whoever is responsible for the building where they would like the bond to be and what method to use.

yours benji

Reply to Bonding Steelwork in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net