Discuss Bonding to plastic water pipe in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening guys

am looking into becoming registered with niceic so I can do on the side pjs and sign them off. (All above board)

was going to use my parents house as my niceic assessment.

change the fuse board, (will carry out a eicr before and after)
upgrade tails to 25mm main earth to 16mm and Gas is already bonded with 10mm at P.o.e
However incoming water is plastic- then has a metal valve then goes off again into floor in plastic again. (Currently no bonding)

1st question- where do I stand with water bonding?
Im guessing the best thing would be to bond at the 1st bit of copper after the plastic- but how can I determine where that is as it goes off under the floor (most of ground floor is tiles or lamanate floors)
-obviously need to get this correct for the niceic inspector.

2nd question:

am I correct in thinking as long as the new fuse board, tails/main earth/bonding (depending on aboves situation with water) are correct to bs7671 as amended, can there be c2 and c3 on the eicr issued as my work will only be the fuse board? As long as the c2 or c3 are clearly noted on the eicr.

and 3rd question:
the assessment is 1 larger job (fuse board) and one smaller job like a new radial circuit install. Correct?
can both jobs be at same address (in my case my parents house)

i know both of the mentioned jobs are notifiable works- and I have a electrician who is already niceic registered who will be willing to register them as a third party on my behalf.

look forward to reponse

cheers guys

joe

you don't want a eicr. you need to complete a eic for the work you do. that will be for the CU change and as full set of test results for each circuit. therefore no codes. as for thew water. find some copper pipe that's accessible. IR test to MET. if you get > 22k ohms, then it's not extraneous and does not require bonding. it may well give a low ohms reading as it's likely to be bonded to the gas at the boiler.

you don't want a eicr. you need to complete a eic for the work you do. that will be for the CU change and as full set of test results for each circuit. therefore no codes. as for thew water. find some copper pipe that's accessible. IR test to MET. if you get > 22k ohms, then it's not extraneous and does not require bonding. it may well give a low ohms reading as it's likely to be bonded to the gas at the boiler.

Lovely and quick!

so the assessor won't walk around and put up any c2's if present and query why there not done?

My suggestion would be that if you have to ask these questions you're not yet competent enough to be carrying out such work unsupervised. I would seriously consider getting some more knowledge and experience under your belt before carrying out your own work.

My guess however would be, that you won't take a blind bit of notice of what I've just said and that you'll just plough on regardless feeling secure in the knowledge that if the NICEIC say you're competent, then it 'must' be true.

My suggestion would be that if you have to ask these questions you're not yet competent enough to be carrying out such work unsupervised. I would seriously consider getting some more knowledge and experience under your belt before carrying out your own work.

My guess however would be, that you won't take a blind bit of notice of what I've just said and that you'll just plough on regardless feeling secure in the knowledge that if the NICEIC say you're competent, then it 'must' be true.

Now that's good

i know both of the mentioned jobs are notifiable works- and I have a electrician who is already niceic registered who will be willing to register them as a third party on my behalf.

So you are kicking off your NICEIC membership by breaking the rules?

Madness

Lovely and quick!

so the assessor won't walk around and put up any c2's if present and query why there not done?

he bloody well will, mate, if he's anywhere near competent. if you change a CU, then any dangerous parts of the installation must be rectified.

Reply to Bonding to plastic water pipe in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net