Discuss Breaker trip after screwing light fitting back to freshly painted ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazroo

-
Reaction score
Hi,

This afternoon, finished re-emulsioning a plasterboard ceiling in a 25-y-o house (so the electrics are modern enough).

I had removed a circular metal light fitting - the swivel 3-spotlight type of thing - but it uses modern LED bulbs. Never ever had a problem with it. The wiring is solidly connected and the fitting not heavy, so I let it dangle to ease painting above/around.

Finished the final coat and didn't let it dry but immediately screwed the fitting back onto the metal plate which is itself screwed to the joist. I'm confident no wires were trapped but switched the light on and - bingo - tripped the fuse box.

Removed the fitting again and let it dangle. Switched the fuse box back on. All circuits worked again and all three bulbs were now working too. In fact, whilst dangled, the fitting is turning on and off just fine, but I'm nervous about fixing it back to the joist plate in case I trip the electrics again.

Could the damp emulsion have been the culprit, or is it likely to be another reason ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Is it a squeeze to push it all up to fix it back to the bracket?

Can you post a photograph of it hanging, showing the connections?

There’s maybe a cable pressing against the metal bracket when it’s pushed up

Isolate the power and check the wires carefully to see if you managed to puncture one with a screw or maybe trapped one and squished it until it made contact with an earth. If there's a damaged wire then either trim it back to remove the damaged area or get some heat shrink sleeve and repair it.

If you're unsure rather get a sparky in to help you, it should literally take him/her 10 minutes to fix it safely and you'll have peace of mind.

Hi,

This afternoon, finished re-emulsioning a plasterboard ceiling in a 25-y-o house (so the electrics are modern enough).

I had removed a circular metal light fitting - the swivel 3-spotlight type of thing - but it uses modern LED bulbs. Never ever had a problem with it. The wiring is solidly connected and the fitting not heavy, so I let it dangle to ease painting above/around.

Finished the final coat and didn't let it dry but immediately screwed the fitting back onto the metal plate which is itself screwed to the joist. I'm confident no wires were trapped but switched the light on and - bingo - tripped the fuse box.

Removed the fitting again and let it dangle. Switched the fuse box back on. All circuits worked again and all three bulbs were now working too. In fact, whilst dangled, the fitting is turning on and off just fine, but I'm nervous about fixing it back to the joist plate in case I trip the electrics again.

Could the damp emulsion have been the culprit, or is it likely to be another reason ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
More than likely wet paint, or you could have pinched the cables when refitting the light, if you are uncertain then call an electrician 15 minute job if all wiring is OK

Thanks to all who replied, and so promptly! I put the fitting back up after a further 48 hours and it was fine. Guess I'll never know for sure but I think it was the damp paint; there is a good inch between the fitting and the plasterboard so little chance for wires or connectors to get squished.

Reply to Breaker trip after screwing light fitting back to freshly painted ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock