Discuss BS7671:2008 (2015) incorporating amendment 3. Time to cough up again. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SirKit Breaker

This will be forced upon us next year. I have seen the changes and they are mainly around the Zs values for disconnection times, and some significant changes to the application of RCD's. I think that these changes will be significant enough for a new regs book to be printed, and this obviously means that all other associated books will also follow suit.

I would guess that the new regs will issued in September/October, and the use of either version will be OK until the new version is fully adopted in January, this is how the current edition was introduced.

It shouldn't affect the 17th edition qualification, other than its number may change from 2382-12 to 2382-15, so anyone who holds 2382-10 or 12 should not need to upgrade. This is only my opinion, and as and when i get anymore detail you will be the first to know.

Cheers……………….Howard

Our qualifying manager went to an NIC or ECA meeting a few months back and went through all of the changes, he was mentioning something about a large section about LED's...

They should put the next one on a massive etch-a-sketch so i can shake and amend every time..it's what i use for my accounts...

I have a lot more info.

The new regs will be introduced in Jan 2015, and will have to be complied with from the 1st July 2105. Any installs designed prior to July 2015, and where the work has already commenced can be to the current version, installs designed prior to July 2015, but not yet started will need redesigning to the new version.

The in and outs, are RCD protection to all socket outlets of 20a or less irrespective of application.

The use of plastic cable ties will not be allowed in areas of any part of an installation which is deemed to be an access route, we will have to use metal ones, and the same applies to cable clips.

All the Zs values are coming down by 0.05ohms.

There are some changes, mainly the addition of new special locations.

The book will be yellow, and the other books will be updated accordingly.

There will be a requirement for anyone holding the position of qualified supervisor to also hold a BS7671 qual, which has been attained in the last 2 years, or be able to demonstrate a very good understanding of the latest edition. there maybe a short 1 day update course for those who hold a qual that is over 2 years old, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Cheers…………Howard

So not only do we have to pay out a fortune for the BYB,OSG any GNs we may need there will also be a exam to pay for too. Then 2 years later the 18th edition will probably be upon us.

Yes looks like I will have to attend the days course, I took my 17th when It first came out, well over 2 years ago, in fact it was around 2008 I think from memory, can't remember when exactly now, and I am a QS, so I will have to get some money out I suppose.

Oh bugger, I've just shelled out for the 17th 2011amend.
Does anyone know if there is an additional course for people who already have this or do we all have to sit the full course again?

Oh bugger, I've just shelled out for the 17th 2011amend.
Does anyone know if there is an additional course for people who already have this or do we all have to sit the full course again?
No, usually only need a course after new editions rather than amendments

Reply to BS7671:2008 (2015) incorporating amendment 3. Time to cough up again. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net