Search the forum,

Discuss Burnt insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is there any guidance / reg regarding how far insulation should be stripped back once it has been overheated due to an accessory / termination issue? Example, shower / cooker switch faulty (so heat source local therefore whole length does not need replacing) 1" burnt then further 2" discouloured, I would tend to cut off at least another couple of inches.

all depends on how much slack there is. if it's tight i'll strip back to decent insulation and, if necessary replace damaged insulation with heat shrink.

usually happens on shower isolator with hardly any slack then spend half an hour with your head pressed to ceiling trying to connect back up.
more slack on shower circuits plleeeeeaaase!!

If its burnt it has lost its dielectric integrity as well as flexibility, one way is to shorten back if you have the spare or over-sleeve with suitable heat shrink, if you strip back the damage and heat shrink then ensure the heat shrink overlaps where the existing insulation starts to avoid a gap been created exposing the copper.

Insulation tape is only for holding your tissue onto your hacksaw cut you just sustained!!! You of all people should know that Marvo.. :tongue:

I don't know, you guys and your new fandangled heat shrink. Couple of wraps of tape and it's guaranteed to be a-for-away at least until the cheque and the exhaust smoke has cleared ;)

Did good old tape go out of fashion?:)

YES, ...if your talking PVC tape. Amalgamating tape would be far better as a second choice after heat shrink. I haven't come across decent PVC tape for years now, the adhesive qualities of PVC tape seems to have taken a nose dive to what they used to be....

YES, ...if your talking PVC tape. Amalgamating tape would be far better as a second choice after heat shrink. I haven't come across decent PVC tape for years now, the adhesive qualities of PVC tape seems to have taken a nose dive to what they used to be....

What's wrong with masking tape ? :38:

Reply to Burnt insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net