Discuss Cable tracer / fuse finder in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
As per the title I am looking for recommendations for a new fuse finder / cable tracer. Not worried about the price more the accuracy of the instrument.

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
I've got a martindale unit that needs power at one end for the tone to generate. The socket and see unit has batteries that you can use on a dead circuit, might be useful.
I've only used mine once. I generally use my warbling socket tester and listen for the silence but as I'm domestic that's most often possible.
See what others recommend.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
ihave a martingdale, the bleeper has stopped working. martingdale says it's not worth repairing.so much for after sales service.

OP
Sintra

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
I've got a martindale unit that needs power at one end for the tone to generate. The socket and see unit has batteries that you can use on a dead circuit, might be useful.
I've only used mine once. I generally use my warbling socket tester and listen for the silence but as I'm domestic that's most often possible.
See what others recommend.
Power at one end is fine but I need it to be spot on accurate at the other.

OP
Sintra

Sintra

The Innkeeper
Staff member
Admin
So I eventually went for the Martindale CD1000 unit. Have been using it for the last 3 days with spot on accuracy in what can only be described as a challenging installation as it was overseas and by no means to UK standards. At a smidge over £300 it has paid for itself at least twice over. Roll on next weekend until I have to go back and complete the survey lol.

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
So I eventually went for the Martindale CD1000 unit. Have been using it for the last 3 days with spot on accuracy in what can only be described as a challenging installation as it was overseas and by no means to UK standards. At a smidge over £300 it has paid for itself at least twice over. Roll on next weekend until I have to go back and complete the survey lol.
Have to say that looks like a rather nice bit of kit :)

rapparee

Electrician's Arms
Am I right in thinking if you inject a tone at one end, the contactless receiver probe will identify the correct cable at any point along its route?
Yes
That's how it works.

You can inject it via rj45 or crocodile clips if you are using some single core cable.

Electrician Talk