Discuss Can I bypass the 13 amp outlet on my cooker circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

StevenT

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am no domestic electrician but I do work as a designer in the railway, low voltage signalling circuits etc. My question concerns my oven. I have just bought a second hand double oven of the internet and went to fit it in my rented house. The existing oven is connected using a 13amp plug. Initially I thought I was bust but on further investigation I've discovered that there is a dedicated cooker circuit in the house. The MCB has a 'Hager MCB ( Type B )Rated 32 Amps' breaker with 6mm wiring to a 45amp switch on the kitchen wall. This in turn supplies via 6mm cable a standard 13amp socket at the rear of the oven. The new oven is rated at 4.3kw so requires fusing at 18.6amp. So obviously the fusing is inadequate and also the standard plug.

The question is, as everything up to the 3 pin socket at the back of the oven is to the correct rating, is there some way I can remove this socket and install some kind of connector to terminate the cable from the oven to the wall circuit. there isn't enough slack in the cable in the wall to wire directly into the oven which would have been ideal. I suppose I'm asking if there is a kind of junction box I can buy from B&Q or some other retailer?

I hope I have explained everything so the question can be understood.

Thanks for reading

Steve.

You can replace it with a cooker outlet plate providing the back box is deep enough. The one on this link suggests a 46mm deep box which is not uncommon for outlet plates.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-lo...V1m62vcNGvV5tLueUMAaAgYkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can replace it with a cooker outlet plate providing the back box is deep enough. The one on this link suggests a 46mm deep box which is not uncommon for outlet plates.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-lo...V1m62vcNGvV5tLueUMAaAgYkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks westward. I thought of that as soon as finished posting. I was just over thinking it really.

Cheers,

Steve.

Reply to Can I bypass the 13 amp outlet on my cooker circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net