Discuss Can of worms! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

trypod

-
Reaction score
Got a call today Light circuit random tripping mcb & ELCB & kitchen ring random tripping mcb & ELCB.

Earthing: TT

Consumer unit Wylex 6 Way MCB’s

Crabtree voltage operated ELCB.

When I got there the owner/builder informed me that he had built a lounge and kitchen extension and had extended the lounge ring, kitchen ring and the lighting circuits.

In the kitchen he has put in 19 12v down lights off 4 transformers which he is concerned about the heat generated as some of them are near the joists and he has put in outside lights.

In the garage there are metal clad sockets connected with plastic oval conduit just laying in the knockouts!

The bathroom has a pendent fitting & I was told that the decorator had put a screw through a cable which he fixed!

There has been no testing or certificates for the circuits.

He has asked me to sort out the tripping and put a new consumer unit in.

Would you take the job on?

me personally, no i would not from a builder like that (as what else is he not telling you)
No point in informing the LBC as they will not do much about it anyway !

You could always agree a day rate and then start testing the circuits, he got himself in this mess so he must know it takes a professional to fix it (hehehe)
If you change the consumer unit you know you would have to issue the cert register the job so if he is prepared to pay you to rectifier faults then let him pay you (also depends on how busy you are !)

Why run, could be some decent remedial work knowing builders.
Charge to go in and test & inspect existing circuits and find fault (not as a EICR but something like a visual inspection report).
Then price for all the remedial work and the new CU

Well, one view is that there is a fault that needs fixing and someone is going to do it. The issue here are your terms and conditions. As has been suggested, a 'day' or 'hourly' rate to identify the fault, then a price to rectify it?

The board change is a separate issue, which once all the testing to fault find has been carried out, will allow you to change the board confidently and issue certification for the work YOU have done.

Go for it I say, and may it further your reputation and career. Just make sure you agree payment terms and be clear with him (written terms) BEFORE you start.

What else can he expect.

As I said, SOMEBODY is going to fix this fault. It might as well be you getting paid for it.

Why run, could be some decent remedial work knowing builders.
Charge to go in and test & inspect existing circuits and find fault (not as a EICR but something like a visual inspection report).
Then price for all the remedial work and the new CU

And what exactly would a visual tell you?

EICR prior to any work IMHO

If you give him (builder) too much detail though, he's likely to do the remedial work himself and then ask you back to change the CU, oh and repair all the work he's just done. This could go round and round forever...so put a good day rate price in:44:

Last edited by a moderator:
And what exactly would a visual tell you?

EICR prior to any work IMHO

It would tell you what it looks like, thats why it say's visual:wacko:

I know, I meant test and inspect but dont have to give him an EICR, but if thats what you want to do why not...the builder wont understand an EICR anyway

I know, I meant test and inspect but dont have to give him an EICR, but if thats what you want to do why not...the builder wont understand an EICR anyway

How many builders will understand the EICR anyway.

If I were your customer and you wanted to charge me a day for testing, I'd at the very least, expect some form of report with the invoice!

if you are going to upgrade the consumer unit then there could be a multitude of problems and doing a Proper EICR is the only way to identify these problems , if you then explain these to the customer in a way in which they understand then these can be provided in a quote for the works ,then remidails can be included in the contract , if you carry out a visual check quote for the wokr change the board and end up with shared neutrals or insulation problems things that cannot be identified with a visual inspection then you may well pay the customer for your work because it will end up costing you

How many builders will understand the EICR anyway.

If I were your customer and you wanted to charge me a day for testing, I'd at the very least, expect some form of report with the invoice!

You would because your an electrician and would enjoy reading it.
So the builder has bodged the wiring, theres a fault on one of the circuits, he wants a CU change......can of worms some people said dont touch it...I said go inspect and test existing circuits and find fault. I'd charge £150 and explain what needs doing (if he wants it on paper charge more but doesnt have to be EICR), Quote, do remedial work, repair fault, install CU test etc and provide EIC at end once paid.

if you are going to upgrade the consumer unit then there could be a multitude of problems and doing a Proper EICR is the only way to identify these problems , if you then explain these to the customer in a way in which they understand then these can be provided in a quote for the works ,then remidails can be included in the contract , if you carry out a visual check quote for the wokr change the board and end up with shared neutrals or insulation problems things that cannot be identified with a visual inspection then you may well pay the customer for your work because it will end up costing you
OK, try and read the sentence in post No 5 again.
"doing a Proper EICR is the only way to identify these problems" sorry thats absolute rubbish

Before the new CCU is fitted, you must find out what the condition of the installation is - especially any problems!! I personally would only take it on if either:-

1, Customer pays for my (EICR) survey to understand installation condition, then I'll quote for fixing problems followed by CCU change and sign off.

or

2, A 'pay-as-you-go' rate to sort concerns 1st and then fit new CCU with sign off. My PAYG rate would not come cheap to cover the builders incompetences because when you do the sign off, you take on liabilities! As as been said in earlier posts, the builder is probably not telling you of all of his screw-up's, so they'll be extra jobs to bring his work and materials back into compliance!

In this climate, every chance of work is worth a quote at least. Day rate etc for remedials, new CU and everybody's happy. Especially the DNO when you get rid of the ELCB.

EICR, it may be a can of worms but it could also be a good earner.

Reply to Can of worms! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net