Discuss Cancelling sky sub in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claire_r

Hey all, I can't afford to pay for the sky channels anymore. I'm presuming the sky box and dish are mine if I cancel but I don't want to shell out for another freesat box (have one upstairs). Anyone know if my sky plus box will work as a freesat box if I cancel my subscription? Thanks all for your time :)

free view sets were going for 30 quid all in. the question your asking is can you use a skydish as your free view ariel? i dont know. well maybe you asking that as they are cheap for boxes

or you can just cancel the sky subscription and just get the free channels. most of the pay channels are rubbish anyway.

Just be aware that the card in your sky box will eventually expire (even for the freesat channels) and you will start to lose channels.

If you don't have a subscription, Sky charge you about ÂŁ20 for a new card every time their cards expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, yeh like I said I have freesat hd upstairs as have quad lnb but can't afford the ÂŁ100 box for downstairs or an aerial install for freeview. Will chance it and if I have to buy a new card at some point at least it's cheaper, thanks again!

If you don't have a subscription, Sky charge you about ÂŁ20 for a new card every time their cards expire.

Phone sky ( 0844 824 4400 is the annoyingly overpriced 0844 number that sky insist on using for Freesat ) and order a freesat card (which is ÂŁ25 now!) however if (when) they ever change the cards again they'll send you a new freesat card without charge.

Alternatively just keep your existing sky card and wait until it stops working, then pay the ÂŁ25.

Sky, as I've found out the hard way, are a very difficult company to get to agree to cancel anything... I cancelled sky when I moved house and they're still trying to claim I was in contract and have to pay early termination.... 4 years after I had it installed (!)

what sky don't tell you is that if you change your channel package or add a service such as HD, you start a new contract. I had the situation of having sky tv and virgin phone & broadband for 3 months until my sky subscription was up for renewal. To cancel sky, notify them in every way possible, phone , email, recorded delivery letter (has to be signed for) and fax if you can. Otherwise they will say that they have no record of the cancellation. Been there...:(

what sky don't tell you is that if you change your channel package or add a service such as HD, you start a new contract. I had the situation of having sky tv and virgin phone & broadband for 3 months until my sky subscription was up for renewal. To cancel sky, notify them in every way possible, phone , email, recorded delivery letter (has to be signed for) and fax if you can. Otherwise they will say that they have no record of the cancellation. Been there...:(

Sky, and companies like them, are why I've taken to recording all my phone calls to any large companies ... "No sir, we did not say that.." my response "Really? I have a recording that says otherwise" it usually brings co-operation ;-)

On an aside the one time I was *VERY* glad I do this was when I was stopped for allegedly driving without insurance, turns out that despite the friendly non-english-speaking offshore call centre of my insurance company confirming "Yes you are insured to drive the vehicle from Monday at midnight" I wasn't... the recording was the only evidence I had (no paperwork through yet) that I had been told I was insured from the Monday and not the Wednesday that they'd ACTUALLY put in the system when they updated it!! (end of rant, sorry)

Sky, and companies like them, are why I've taken to recording all my phone calls to any large companies ... "No sir, we did not say that.." my response "Really? I have a recording that says otherwise" it usually brings co-operation ;-)

On an aside the one time I was *VERY* glad I do this was when I was stopped for allegedly driving without insurance, turns out that despite the friendly non-english-speaking offshore call centre of my insurance company confirming "Yes you are insured to drive the vehicle from Monday at midnight" I wasn't... the recording was the only evidence I had (no paperwork through yet) that I had been told I was insured from the Monday and not the Wednesday that they'd ACTUALLY put in the system when they updated it!! (end of rant, sorry)

Don't know if you already know this (if you do just ignore) but if you are recording telephone calls you are required by law to tell the other person that you are recording the conversation.

For training and quality purposes perhaps..:smile5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if you already know this (if you do just ignore) but if you are recording telephone calls you are required by law to tell the other person that you are recording the conversation.

For training and quality purposes perhaps..:smile5:

Hehe, this is actually a very common misconception - indeed the law isn't too clear on it but my interpretation, and that of the legal people at work is that the law requires that the other party be told only if you intend to share the call with a third party. Recording calls for your own use is legal. (The times has an article that agrees Keep your calls on the record - Times Online)

The other thing is that the requirement is that, in any event, they are "aware they are being recorded" if the company you are calling records calls then the staff are already aware. There is no distinction in law on which party is making the recording.

The other one I've used (when defending myself when someone at RBS complained I recorded them) is that the call started with THEIR announcement "Calls may be recorded" I pointed out that could be interpreted as permission (i.e. "you may do this") ;)

Reply to Cancelling sky sub in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net