Discuss Carbon Monoxide detector required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

... carbon monoxide alarms in high-risk rooms.

Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed in any room with a burning fuel appliance as well as bedrooms.

The following is an extract from the BS EN 50292 guidance that indicates the recommendations
for carbon menoxide detctors in a more concise way:

in every room that contains a fuel burning appliance,

at least 300 mm from any wall (for ceiling mounted alarms),

at least 150 mm from the ceiling, above the height of any door or window (for
wall mounted alarms),

between 1 and 3 m (measured horizontally) from the potential source of CO.
The standard also recommends that an alarm is not fitted:

in an enclosed space,

where it can be obstructed,

directly above a sink,

next to a door, window, extractor fan, air vent or similar ventilation opening,

where the temperature may drop below –5 ºC or exceed 40 ºC

Carbon monoxide alarms should be fitted on the wall at head height (breathing level) or on a tabletop or shelf if it is a portable CO alarm.

This last section on carbon menoxide position cant be understated. The testing and guidance that went into it shows that in almost 40% of all tests carried out in properties with them fitted they failed to detect in an effective and timely manner and the number one culprit was incorrect fitting height and position. Part of the issue is to do with the fact most people assume they go in a similar position as fire alarms which is incorrect. The science behind the gas and smoke is different and thus requires a diffrent methodology of placement

Many thanks for the comprehensive and useful reply. I've chopped out the bits where I'm compliant:) While the positioning advise is somewhat contradictory ("should always be fitted on wall" vs "at least 300 mm from any wall (for ceiling mounted alarms)") I get the point that my single CO alarm ceiling mounted is probably inadequate and I will book a date with the tenant to upgrade the installation.

I understand your confusion. However it lies in the fact that some are designed to be fitted to the ceiling and others the wall. BSI offer the regulation in purchasable form but its a hefty chunk for what you need it for however If you are in any doubt. The health and safety exeutive have a number on their website that offers free advice for this. As well does the residential landlords association

I don`t know where the misleading quote of the 50292 has come from......Carbon monoxide is lighter than air, and diffuses evenly within air, and within a room, at a rapid rate. Co alarms can be positioned at ceiling level or high wall level....but follow manufactures recommendations. In any position or height in a room, a co detector will rapidly respond to Carbon monoxide as its spread within a room. Place it on a table, and its reaction will still be the same as on a high ceiling.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - I've checked the documentation which clearly says ceiling mount centre of room if possible. I still need to mount another one in the other room with an open fireplace. I'll redesign the CO alarm side of things so they are mains powered and wireless like the heat/smoke alarms.

Thanks for the help everyone

Reply to Carbon Monoxide detector required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net