Discuss Cat 6 connections by a sparky in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Had to cable some cat 6 cabling,while putting in ours,usual thing.
Just use what you have,which was external cat 6.
Can you 2nd fix them too.
Bit of a nightmare really,with my glasses on it was hard to see connections,also in awkward places to connect.
Also the quality of these data points can be pretty rubbish,tip ,buy the best,with cable tie & deeper connection.
Did it all,then one didn’t get internet,it was the one in the middle of a cupboard,awkward or what,all working now.
Is it that when electricians do this sort of work do we get a bit panicky.
The unknown ?

Deeper back boxes, trial and error and test devices ........... I did my own house before doing any customer paid for installations.

My eyesights gone a bit and I wear glasses, I moved over to the EZ Connect RJ45 connectors as it much easier to get the colours in the right place.

When connecting the ends up stick to the B standard, when I did my house a lot of the cables where terminated into a patch panel so makes it easier using a lead from the switch to the panel.

I used to buy hardware from Black Box, not sure if they sell the EZ Connectors but you'll find them on eBay or Amazon. 13692 - GigaStation2 Surface-Mount Housing - https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/fi/1249/13692/GigaStation2-Surface-Mount-Housing/V1.F5173

Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 12.19.06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There a doddle once you get used to them, but like all things in this industry they're a challenge if its not what you do regularly.

You can get a cheap network tester from screwfix for about ÂŁ12.99 to test your connections end to end and see if you've got anything wrong. It does the job.

Data connections are assessed on the AM2, TBH I find them easy but as said above using quality materials makes a hell of a difference.

used to have no problems with it, but now can't see if all the fiddly little wires ars snuggly in their fiddly correct holes.

You can get a cheap network tester from screwfix for about ÂŁ12.99 to test your connections end to end and see if you've got anything wrong. It does the job.

They're not perfect, I have been caught out by a cable run where the same wiring mistake had been made at both ends. It tested fine with a basic tester but didn't work. A visual inspection of the plugs confirmed that both were miswired and reterminating both ends solved the problem.

Also bare in mind that cat6 doesn't really give any advantage over cat5e with current kit. But it is obviously more future proof

We do quite a bit on offices and can't say we've ever had any major problems.
To answer George Cooke, an electricians job is whatever earns money and what the customer wants, I think if you don't move with the crowd and learn to adapt your business then you'll just get left behind.
Also why would you let someone else do a job that could earn you money.

Cheers for all comments,using external cat 6 didn’t help,all working fine,here’s to next time.
We should be on loads of money

Also, as the cables are wrapped in pairs run the cable over a terminal screwdriver to straighten and to remove the kinks, see that cheap illuminating mains tester screwdriver with the insulation now becomes useful after spending 20 years at the bottom of the tool bag.

I took the plunge and ordered the fluke micoscanner 2

It is great for testing cat 6 circuits.

It saves me from embarrassment afterwards if it doesn't work when someone plugs in.

Me and an IT girl spent hours one day with me on my knees in a comms room trying to sort out a dodgy connection.

All I had was a fluke 179 and a patch lead cut in half and stripped back. I was doing continuity tests. The whole thing was horrendous.

It saves me from embarrassment afterwards if it doesn't work when someone plugs in.

Me and an IT girl spent hours one day with me on my knees in a comms room trying to sort out a dodgy connection.

All I had was a fluke 179 and a patch lead cut in half and stripped back. I was doing continuity tests. The whole thing was horrendous.
She wasn't a looker then.......

She wasn't a looker then.......
She actually is pretty decent. You definitely would. But the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I was getting a stiff neck and nothing else :confused:

All joking aside, she is a nice girl, and we often have to look after each other, she got me a new laptop a few months ago.

Reply to Cat 6 connections by a sparky in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net