Discuss CFL flashing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maddog

Hi all. In my daughters bedroom I noticed that after turning out her light it kept flashing (almost exactly every 4 seconds). This goes on for some time (more than 2 hours, got bored of checking it after that), not a bright flash but annoying enough. I changed the CFL for one in another room (to rule out the lamp) and the new lamp in her room still flashed, while the old lamp in the other room was fine. Any Ideas as to what is going on.
I'm in Israel (240v 50H) so I dont have any tools with me. Just my curiosity.

Sounds like something to do with the wiring maybe feedback but sounds like it requires on-site testing as it will all be just guess work without any more info (Voltage readings etc)

Hi all. In my daughters bedroom I noticed that after turning out her light it kept flashing (almost exactly every 4 seconds). This goes on for some time (more than 2 hours, got bored of checking it after that), not a bright flash but annoying enough. I changed the CFL for one in another room (to rule out the lamp) and the new lamp in her room still flashed, while the old lamp in the other room was fine. Any Ideas as to what is going on.
I'm in Israel (240v 50H) so I dont have any tools with me. Just my curiosity.

This is becoming a regular occurence with CFLs and usually two way switching
It is usually to do with the induced current into the non live conductor which supplies the live to the the lamp
It builds up enough for a strike,discharges and then spends a little time to repeat the nuisanse
Two way swiyching where it is wired (using a 2-core+earth strappers) from one switch to the other or a 1-way where there is a longer length between the live and switched live may be the cause

I have heard on this forum I believe a so;ution stated by a member that you can purchase a capacitor designed for this issue for these lights

Alternatively,throw it in the bin,where most of these lamps deserve to end up,until technology for them advances and use a standard tungsten lamp

I'm in Wales (230 volt sometimes and 50HZ) got my tools with me and if you are not helping her then neither am I:)

I was thinking it was induction somewhere in the circuit (as I had already changed the bulbs) but didn't have a clue where it would come from. I also thought that maybe a small charge could be getting to the lamp through the neutral from another lamp on the same circuit.
Thanks for both of your replys, I'm still a bit wet behind the ears (starting level 3 2330 in jan) so apreciate your assistance.

Long shot but iv had a few probs with these lights as well, if there is a dimmer switch used to switch the light could be givin problems and i know the cfl wont dim but you can still use the switch once up full as i had a problem like this before and found it to be the dimmer switch.

No 2 way switching, no dimmer switch and not the lamp. Have changed the lamp for others and it was still flashing in her room with the new lamps, while in other locations they didn't flash. Has to be the wiring. induction or back feed somewhere.

Reply to CFL flashing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net