Discuss Cheap(ish) calibration and repair in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Have to get my Megger 1552 Calibrated and a reapir to the cable connections. When set to Ohms it seems intermittent on whether it reads open/closed circuit.
Took it to wholesalers who quoted £70 Calibration + £130ish for repair + VAT...

So for a spend of £250 Tops would I be better at looking at a new tester? I know they cost more than that, but wonder if this is the start of problems? Any alternative to this Megger model (which I do like)

Any good feedback for calibration/repair companies? Last year I used Certific8.

This may not help with your particular problem

Robin used to do a fixed repair cost for their instruments,it used to be £50
If the repair couldn't be done economically,they would supply a new instrument free of charge

Perhaps the manufacturers of the instrument still do this sort of service

from what iv'e heard, megger have a repair cost of around £300. there's a company in stafford do repairs reasonable, so i'm told.

Claret, before condemning your MFT:
Thoroughly check your leads for continuity, ideally on another meter, flex all the stress points, ensure that the 4mm plugs make good contact with their mating sockets. The croc-clips on the Meggers are a known weak point (tired or high resistance across hinge). Also disassemble the probes and clean the fuse caps and springs, as they are prone to oxidation in damp atmospheres.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my MFT. Readings getting progressively worse against check box. Also when nulled continuity reading would not zero.

I found a that one of the lead connections loose within the socket for connecting probes/clips.

10 minute repair and now working 100%

I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago, so doubt any warranty would be valid? I've tried it with a different set of leads (Kewtech) and the indicator is still intermittent on Continuity. I'm sure it's one of the socket connections on the meter itself...Co I used last year are around the same price £240ish...

The date of manufacture is the middle set of numbers of the serial number

eg: 6111- 772 /070409 / 4428

date of manufacture 7th April 2009 (070409)

I would still telephone Megger and see if they would repair it foc

I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago, so doubt any warranty would be valid? I've tried it with a different set of leads (Kewtech) and the indicator is still intermittent on Continuity. I'm sure it's one of the socket connections on the meter itself...Co I used last year are around the same price £240ish...

Bought mine from ebay. When i had a problem with it i spoke to the Megger tech team, who took the serial number and told me its still in warranty, so send it in to them. Never asked for any original purchase invoices etc, just fixed it and returned it.

Always worth a try

Reply to Cheap(ish) calibration and repair in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net