Discuss Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Solar not my field but by the look of it the sun is at low level (no long gutter shadow) this would either suggest rising or setting hence the house is due East or West facing.
This will vastly reduce its full potential and the chimney would be moving shadow cast effecting over half the units at some point during the day.

to me if you move the top single panel to the right it woul over hang the ridge tiles,

if a single string inverter was used its poor design if solar edge was used that nobody can really say its bad , if the sap cals where correct , nobody knows the situation really, the only thing I can see visualy is the bottom brackets are not under the panel.......

all this post as proved is
Gavin loves Ian xxxx

The left hand side of the panels are too close to neighbour. I bet if the MCS inpsected this house it would be picked up!!! The new DTI will have it in black and white.
The new DTi guide will have what in black and white?

I've just checked this draft version and can see nothing about minimum distances for the boundary with neighboring roofs, only distances from roof edges for wind loading purposes. Is there a new draft around that has some rules on distances from boundaries with neighbours?

Gavin

It was meant to be going in! It was meant to be going to one figure. My assessor informed me of the changes after speaking to his Boss after I got picked up on my inspection! Showed him notes from my course and he accepted it but informed me that it would be going in beacuse of the confusion. We will wait and see!

Gavin

It was meant to be going in! It was meant to be going to one figure. My assessor informed me of the changes after speaking to his Boss after I got picked up on my inspection! Showed him notes from my course and he accepted it but informed me that it would be going in beacuse of the confusion. We will wait and see!
what was meant to be going in?

It sounds to me like your assessor had picked up the wrong end of the stick around the edge distance requirements, which wouldn't surprise me given some of the rubbish that assessors seem to pick up.

what was meant to be going in?

I think he means that if you are installing on a semi-detached house, you have to keep 30cm from the party boundary as well as from the ridge, gutter and edge. I've not heard of this and it sounds bonkers to me. The whole point of leaving clearance is to reduce the wind uplift factor which is greater toward the exposed edges.

Think of the implications if/when doing a mid-terrace. I can't believe this will find it's way into the regs but you never know what words of wisdom will emanate from a suit in Whitehall who's never even been on a roof.

if the system was crossed railed which i doubt then it might not be so bad, if not then its a horrific installation, the rails are nowhere near where they should be nor is there enough of it

Reply to Christmas Competition - Bad Installation - Spot the mistakes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net