Discuss Cold weather and rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How do you guys go about installing cable around the 5 degree range, when the cable is a total pain to work with?

A ''Rewire'' at 5C?? I can understand a new build or an open complete refurb job, but most rewires would be in surroundings a bit warmer than 5C, i'm sure!!

Shouldn't really be working with PVC cables at or near 0C temperatures and below...

A ''Rewire'' at 5C?? I can understand a new build or an open complete refurb job, but most rewires would be in surroundings a bit warmer than 5C, i'm sure!!

Shouldn't really be working with PVC cables at or near 0C temperatures and below...
don't think the customer would be too pleased if you phone em to say you can't complete their rewire as its too cold!!

Lol, we have problems the other way around. Left my gas soldering iron in the center console of the car a few weeks ago and it exploded when it was parked in the sun, I arrived back and it took me a while to figure out where all the bits of plastic had come from. Also the tape in my label printer goes completely black sometimes :(.

don't think the customer would be too pleased if you phone em to say you can't complete their rewire as its too cold!!

Well you could always hook up a temp supply to the central heating system, or bring a couple of electrical blower heaters you could hook up... lol!!

I don't set the minimum temperature recommendations, that comes from the cable manufactures, that according to the wonderful BS7671 you should be following...

Well you could always hook up a temp supply to the central heating system, or bring a couple of electrical blower heaters you could hook up... lol!!

I don't set the minimum temperature recommendations, that comes from the cable manufactures, that according to the wonderful BS7671 you should be following...
yeah bring a heater if your sat on your backside all day, but in most cases doing a rewire usually generates enough body heat alone!! lol!!

Link L&N at one end of the reel, then connect the other ends to L and E on your 110V Transformer for a while.
That should loosen it up for a bit, plus it'll warm your hands whilst you're pulling it around.

Link L&N at one end of the reel, then connect the other ends to L and E on your 110V Transformer for a while.
That should loosen it up for a bit, plus it'll warm your hands whilst you're pulling it around.
don't forget to bridge out the overload on the tranny first. :ack2:

I have been working in an unoccupied house thats full of gear and no heating at all , and also outside in a barn , no problem you soon get warm even wearing a polo shirt and no jacket on most of the time , just get stuck in .....

It was more the cable than me. Its a shell of a house, half the roof tiles missing, boarded window apertures and my cable is rigid as hell. Its about 3-5 degrees max.

Heater is only way I can see, but hate the idea that the cable may get buggered

Reply to Cold weather and rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net