Discuss Commercial installs are not notifiable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

n180

-
Reaction score
So I've been doing domestic for years, and thought about upgrading with napit to commercial installs.

Apparently commercial work is not notifiable, only need to register for eicrs (which don't even need registering with a scheme anyway)

So, if I changed a CU or installed a circuit, 3 phase or single phase on commercial or industrial premises, I only issue the cert, but it doesn't need to be notified to council?

So scheme's really only exist for domestic notifications?

If a commercial site shares it's source of supply with a dwelling for example a shop with a dwelling above sharing a common supply Part P is applicable.

So basically I got scammed by a scheme again. I told them I want to register to do commercial installs and they registered me for eicrs, something I was able to do anyway.

So basically I got scammed by a scheme again. I told them I want to register to do commercial installs and they registered me for eicrs, something I was able to do anyway.
I think there is a list on one of the websites where you get a tick next to EICR if you're registed which landlords can search for if wanting an EICR, but not sure how useful that is really.

I'm considering upgrading from a DI purely for the EICR bit since I really only do domestic, but seems like NICEIC don't want my extra money as they haven't replied!

@n180 as westward said if you are doing commercial and there are domestic properties attached to it like shops and flats above even if you don’t work on the residential side you still have to have part p and that work is notifiable. I do industrial installs so don’t need part p or technically any scheme membership to carry out my work. You might find it is the insurance companies who set the rules within their T&C’s that only registered electricians with an affiliation with a recognised trade body can be used.

I think there is a list on one of the websites where you get a tick next to EICR if you're registed which landlords can search for if wanting an EICR, but not sure how useful that is really.

I'm considering upgrading from a DI purely for the EICR bit since I really only do domestic, but seems like NICEIC don't want my extra money as they haven't replied!
Dartlec also you must have professional indemnity insurance if doing EICR’s in PRS and you must keep it going continuously even if you change insurers don’t let it run out otherwise you are not covered for any of your work previously carried out. I think it’s 7 years that they can go back. So in the event of a claim against you on some work you did or issued a report on say 5 years ago and everything was fine then this year something happened they could try taking you to court, now with all this Covid virus a lot of things have been delayed in getting sorted.

Reply to Commercial installs are not notifiable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net