Discuss Commercial property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lets face it guys there are spark's out there who spent their whole apprenticeship doing nothing but one thing with no experience of anything like the real world has to offer and only learned off one guy or guys who wasn't very good at what he did and still passed all their exams and came out fully qualified electricians , so when it comes to being able to do everything with competence is very hard for them, much better for them to ask then to try and muddle through has always been my way.

I have been in the game for well over 40 years and am still learning things I have not come across before, But I have always been blessed in being able to think things trough and get it sorted.

I always remember one time when we got a call to attend to a site and help out some gas engineers, I arrived to find 4 of their top fully trained engineers in the electrical fault finding side as well as the gas side, including their top man from the office, they has spent the whole day trying to figure out why their bit of kit wouldn't work, they had all the test gear they had proven all the lives where Ok and fuses were Ok etc etc, but I was there 5 mins and found that the DP switch isolator they were using was not allowing the neutral through a faulty contact simple, Moral to this story sort the simple things first and have a proper 2 wire mains tester not a touch type
christ...they wern`t goin round with a Neon screwdriver were they?..lol...

christ...they wern`t goin round with a Neon screwdriver were they?..lol...

Hmm. I could have found this fault, even with just a neon screwdriver; a prod onto the neutral terminal on the load side of the switch would have found it.

Like a lot of things in life, it's not the price of the tool that matters, it's knowing where to stick it for best results.

Reply to Commercial property in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net