Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Connecting 3 phase motor via convertor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaz26

Hi all . A friend of mine has a 3 phase machine with a plug with 5 prongs on it. 3 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth. Because he only has single phase in he's garage he has bought a Clarke 3 phase convertor but the plug on this only takes 4 prongs. He rang up the supplier and explained this and all he said was connect the neural straight to the output.
Can anyone shed any light on this as he didn't understand and asked me but with only little info about motors I'm not sure.
Thanks

Hi all . A friend of mine has a 3 phase machine with a plug with 5 prongs on it. 3 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth. Because he only has single phase in he's garage he has bought a Clarke 3 phase convertor but the plug on this only takes 4 prongs. He rang up the supplier and explained this and all he said was connect the neural straight to the output.
Can anyone shed any light on this as he didn't understand and asked me but with only little info about motors I'm not sure.
Thanks

The 3 phase machine is a givaway because the actual 3 phase motor will not require a neutral but the control side of the machine will so ie a engineers lathe would need 3 phase + a neutral the only thing is how big is this machine and what does it do because you may be asking a lot from say a 60 amp single phase supply

All I know at the moment is that the guy is a cobbler and he's bought a machine to do he's work. It definitely needs 3 phase and he just presumed he needed a convertor and just plug the lead off the machine in to it

Reply to Connecting 3 phase motor via convertor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net