Discuss Continuity on isolated circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

eltel10

DIY
Reaction score
Hi a DIYer here,
I am planning on adding a socket spur to a ring circuit.
I isolated the MCBs and RCBs and main switch at the Consumer Unit.
I tested (using the voltage and continuity tester seen below in the video) if there was isolation there and all was in order.
When I got to the socket, I had the continuity buzz when testing N/L, E/N and E/L. The same was evident on another socket in the ring.
I did not attempt any electrical work.
I tested the shower switch - different circuit to plugs and there was isolation with no continuity showing on the tester.
Any ideas what is going on here?
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2979.mov
    34.4 MB
Testing for a voltage between live and N then between live and earth should prove that the circuit has been isolated from the electricity supply.

When measuring continuity , what you are checking is wether the cable attached to one meter probe has. A connection to the cable attached to the other meter probe.

If there are any devices plugged into the socket circuit that you are testing, they will be making a connection between live and N on that circuit.
Such as a table lamp, there is a thin wire element that joins live to N,

I appreciate it seems easy now days to watch a few YouTube videos to learn how to diy electrics, your understanding of these things seems rather low at the moment.
I have answered your question to raise your knowledge but not necessarily to encourage you to continue this work without assistance.

Is there any chance you could ask a professional to assist you on this one and you may well learn a lot in the process.

Testing for a voltage between live and N then between live and earth should prove that the circuit has been isolated from the electricity supply.

When measuring continuity , what you are checking is wether the cable attached to one meter probe has. A connection to the cable attached to the other meter probe.

If there are any devices plugged into the socket circuit that you are testing, they will be making a connection between live and N on that circuit.
Such as a table lamp, there is a thin wire element that joins live to N,

I appreciate it seems easy now days to watch a few YouTube videos to learn how to diy electrics, your understanding of these things seems rather low at the moment.
I have answered your question to raise your knowledge but not necessarily to encourage you to continue this work without assistance.

Is there any chance you could ask a professional to assist you on this one and you may well learn a lot in the process.
Thanks for the reply.

I did think it could be due to devices being plugged into a socket on the circuit. I did toy with unplugging everything afterwards and trying again, even though I'd turned off the FCU switches on the circuit beforehand. But after I made the video, I decided to post here and get a respected opinion from an electrician.

Regarding a professional, I would have to bring an electrician in.

Yes, the YT videos give you the basics, hence my predicament.

Reply to Continuity on isolated circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net