Discuss Cooker wiring dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark Waistnidge

A house renovation, including kitchen extension, all plastered out with a 10mm twin+e feed in place for the 7.3kw induction hob.
The single oven and the combi microwave should have been spurred from the kitchen ring as each being 2.9kw. Neff have decided to up them to 3.45kw for the oven and 3.65kw for the microwave.

Is there anyway i can make the 10mm cable thats in position work for them all or do i need to ruin the new decorating?

Help appreciated.

Have a look at your copy of the wiring regs (appendix 15 gives some relevant info regarding fixed loads) and, if you've got a copy, the on-site guide also gives some guidance on cooker circuits. If I had mine to hand I'd give you a page number, but I don't

Hi Mark - assuming installation method allows 50A plus and that you are using 50A mcb (?) and the manufacturers have kW rated at 240V, then the max draw is 60A. IMHO this is unlikely to happen in a domestic situation, as there is only one cook etc. And even if it did happen it would only be for a few minutes till ovens and elements reached temp and started to cycle. The OSG diversity ref is Table A2 p117, which seems to say 10A + 30% of 60 = 28A for domestic, and 30.4A + 12.2A + 8.6A = 51.2A for a shop or hotel.

So it seems the OSG agrees with my thoughts for domestic, but computer says no for commercial use. Please don't rely on my calcs, but I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the replies guys.
This job has fell on me half started, through the builder im doing another project for. I dont like finishing other peoples work but I could really do with keeping him onside and not having him get some of his work done elsewhere. The last spark has packed up, he doesnt work for himself anymore.
The appliances being spurred i agree isnt ideal. But do-able, the kitchen does have a dedicated ring. Although yes, life would now be easier if a radial had been run.

I'll check my books tomorrow as they are in the van, but without checking them my thinking was;

Installing a 50a mcb, run the 10mm to a duel cooker connection unit, from that 10mm to the hob one side and 2x 2.5mm to the oven and microwave from the other side. I wanted to check with diversity. And the 2.5mm cables are well above the appliances max draw so being fixed loads i can get away without overload protection.

Am i on the right track?
Appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
My calculations after applying diversity are (230v);

7300W = 16.51A
3450W = 11.50A
3650W = 11.75A

So I make that a total of 39.76A? (it is early for me!).

Assuming this is a domestic install, and the supply cable installation method allows, I would suggest the single radial would be suitable, although the termination would easier, if 2 x radials had been installed (dual outlet, 3 into 2 doesn't go). The microwave may well come fitted with a standard plug top, but IMO it shouldn't be plugged into RFC, what does manufacturer advise?

That's some wattage for a microwave, it's double what the commercial ones in the 2 bakery/cafes I do work for, and they are double the wattage of my own household de longhi microwave.

Is it also a grill & oven as well as a microwave?

The micro is one of these combination things. It grills and stuff too. I was surprised and expected a plug head on this.
The calcs add up, but im not totally happy running 2.5mm cable from 10mm and on a 50a mcb.
It just isnt sitting right...

The micro is one of these combination things. It grills and stuff too. I was surprised and expected a plug head on this.
The calcs add up, but im not totally happy running 2.5mm cable from 10mm and on a 50a mcb.
It just isnt sitting right...
Understood. Subject of some debate here :)
Maybe 4mm flex so the cpc of the 10mm doesn't change size over the last metre ?

The ring would have been fine as no other appliances in there. Only a toaster and dishwasher.
I think my best option is the duel cooker connection unit and run 4mm flex to them.
No chance of a sub CU in there. I did think of this.

Reply to Cooker wiring dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net