Discuss Could I be paying my landlords electricity ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jayy86

DIY
Reaction score
My landlord split his yard & built a granny flat before I moved in, is there any chance I could be paying his electricity? My electricity has tripled since I moved here & My vac made the main fuse switch off & his electricity went out too but he’s got what looks to be his own set up for his property as far as looking at the fuse box goes .. any help really appreciated … will post a pic of fuse set upimage.jpg

TL;DR
Could my landlord be using my electricity supply ?
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a fuse box or distribution unit in your flat, you could turn it off for a few hours and check to see if your meter reading has gone up whilst you were all switched off.

If you have a fuse box or distribution unit in your flat, you could turn it off for a few hours and check to see if your meter reading has gone up whilst you were all switched off.
Im not sure I’m in the original main house & he’s in a granny flat down back … can you see attached pic ? The fuse tripped one night & he came up & asked me ‘not to play with it’ by turning it back on

That’s got landlord bodge written all over it.

There is no mainswitch on the consumer unit??

There’s two meters, off one fuse, which isn’t unusual in itself… but it depends how it’s been wired.

Do you pay your own bill to your own supplier?
Which meter is yours? Does the number on it match your bill?
Otherwise, do you pay your landlord for electricity used?

That’s got landlord bodge written all over it.

There is no mainswitch on the consumer unit??

There’s two meters, off one fuse, which isn’t unusual in itself… but it depends how it’s been wired.

Do you pay your own bill to your own supplier?
Which meter is yours? Does the number on it match your bill?
Otherwise, do you pay your landlord for electricity used?
I pay direct to supplier .. The older original meter is mine & yes the number does match my bill but yeh idk I’m pretty suss on it cos my bills aren’t making sense & he’s asked me to go to him first for any issues before the real estate which shouldn’t be happening to begin with but twice he’s used his electrician for issues I had which is also a family/close friend of his
There’s two main switches labelled on the fuse for each dwelling but when my vac tripped my switch his went out too
Thanks !

So are the two property's Number 13... and 13A?

They shouldn't both be coming out the same consumer unit.

I'd love to see what's going on behind the cover.... but on second thoughts..... i'd rather not.

There is something fishy going on.... Not necessarily you paying for electricity that he uses... but the set up as a whole.

Ask a reputable electrician to have a look... doesn't have to be authorised by your landlord... Maybe someone on here nearby?
Ashfield Notts?

The problem is, if you cause a stink for the landlord... he has power of eviction, which isnt right.

So are the two property's Number 13... and 13A?

They shouldn't both be coming out the same consumer unit.

I'd love to see what's going on behind the cover.... but on second thoughts..... i'd rather not.

There is something fishy going on.... Not necessarily you paying for electricity that he uses... but the set up as a whole.

Ask a reputable electrician to have a look... doesn't have to be authorised by your landlord... Maybe someone on here nearby?
Ashfield Notts?

The problem is, if you cause a stink for the landlord... he has power of eviction, which isnt right.
Yes but it’s only been labelled 13a by him not sure how it works but technically 13a doesn’t exist cos he even uses my bins cos he can’t get any from the council for his place without paying for ‘extra’ ones for number 13 … I’ll def get an electrician to come out, while he’s at work hopefully haha
Thanks, appreciate the insight

Now it’s beginning to sound like he’s converted the house into two without the councils planning permission.

I wonder who’s paying the council tax?

Have you got a rental contract? It might be worth having a good read through to check how services are to be paid.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Could I be paying my landlords electricity ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net