Discuss Could this socket be causing circuit to trip every 3-5 days? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scotz74

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting my house socket circuit tripping about twice a week. We only moved in about 3 months ago. I've been going around checking all the socket connections and today came across this one in one of the bedrooms. It didn't have the neutral fixing screw tightened so I've secured that but I've also noticed a lot of wires going into the earth, including what looks like a black 'neutral' wire. Do you think that looks normal. Unfortuantely single black wire doesn't pull out to reveal whether it's part of a three-core...and I might have to remove part of the wall to find out but I just wanted to check here first. What happens if a neutral is wired in to the earth, would it causes occasional tripping or mean I'd get no electric at all? Thanks.20210712_144120.jpg

Need a clear picture into the back box. Is the black no longer connected it looks cut off.

Need a clear picture into the back box. Is the black no longer connected it looks cut off.
Hopefully these are a bit better. I just can't think of an explanation why there are 5 earth cables?

Attachments

• 20210712_144126.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210712_144202.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210712_144221.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 26

It looks like it curves round and connects into the earth terminal. Very odd!

It looks like it curves round and connects into the earth terminal. Very odd!
Ah yes it's covered in dust looks cut off.

Still can't see it can you actually get a pic into the back box.

Ah, do you mean at the back box end of the neutral?
Indeedy there are clearly two reds, two blacks in L and N which are the lower entry cables but where does the black into the earth terminal disappear to. It's been there some time by the look of it.

Reactions: DPG
I'm with you. Have they used a bit of black as the fly lead to the back box?

Edit: probably not as there are 3 earth wires

I'm with you. Have they used a bit of black as the fly lead to the back box?
My first thought but there is another bare cpc disappearing with it.

Reactions: DPG
Have they used that black cable as a supplementary bond to something

Closer look at the third pick the black appears to go down the left lower knock out.

Have they used that black cable as a supplementary bond to something
Thanks, I think I'm going to have to test it for a circuit and get the black box out. Just interested to know whether if it was a neutral wire connect to earth it would cause occassional tripping or major problems? It is a working socket.

Does it go down the lower left hole of the back box or is that another cable. I wouldn't go pulling the box out.

That's a dual L, N, CPC, 1 x back box earth and then a rogue N to the cpc terminal (hence the RCD trips). The bigger question is what the heck is it doing there??

@Scotz74 - this might sound daft, but are there any audio/tv/av kind of outlet plates anywhere nearby??

Reply to Could this socket be causing circuit to trip every 3-5 days? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net