Discuss CT panel install - who’s responsibility in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, just started a brand new install, the building has 160a 3phase service head. Waiting for meter install but N power are requesting CT panel photos and also pictures of main switch. Last job I did from scratch had a 250a 3phase supply and Northern power supplied and fitted the CT panel which also housed the main fuses, this time they have just put a normal type of service head, am I going to have to fit another ct panel after the service head ? Im pretty sure metering has to be via CT over 100A ? Problem is I haven’t quoted for this ! Also do I need a separate switched isolator as only has 1 DB so surely main switch on that’s just main isolation Point ? Any advice appreciated !

meters and ct coils etc. are not your responsibility. your price should be from the supply onwards.

supply starts after the meter, at least it always used to.

meters and ct coils etc. are not your responsibility. your price should be from the supply onwards.

supply starts after the meter, at least it always used to.
Thanks for the reply mate, That’s what I’ve always assumed, obviously I can’t go replacing the service head with CT chamber myself, I’ll have to get onto DNO tomoz sharpish and see why it’s like this ?!

You wouldn't replace the cutout, the CT chamber comes after the cutout, some cutouts can incorporate a CT chamber but you need to agree that sort of thing with the DNO beforehand.

The responsibility for supply and fit of the CT chamber etc will be detailed in the agreements with the supplier and the DNO. If nobody has agreed to supply and fit it then nobody is going to be doing that.

Who arranged the supply and meter installations?

You wouldn't replace the cutout, the CT chamber comes after the cutout, some cutouts can incorporate a CT chamber but you need to agree that sort of thing with the DNO beforehand.

The responsibility for supply and fit of the CT chamber etc will be detailed in the agreements with the supplier and the DNO. If nobody has agreed to supply and fit it then nobody is going to be doing that.

Who arranged the supply and meter installations?
The actual supply was arranged by the firm who built the building I’m assuming, it’s a new build and then it has then been leased out to the tenant who I am now doing fit out for. Tenant has contacted energy supplier for the metering. What do think is best thing to do ? I’ll try calling DNO tomoz but I guess this is gonna be long and very complicated ? thanks for all the advice guys :)

The actual supply was arranged by the firm who built the building I’m assuming, it’s a new build and then it has then been leased out to the tenant who I am now doing fit out for. Tenant has contacted energy supplier for the metering. What do think is best thing to do ? I’ll try calling DNO tomoz but I guess this is gonna be long and very complicated ? thanks for all the advice guys :)

Get a copy of all the paperwork that the energy supplier has sent with regards to the installation.
You will probably find that they have specified that the customer is to supply and fit the CT chamber, along with the exact type of CT chamber they require.

I doubt the DNO will get involved.

Get a copy of all the paperwork that the energy supplier has sent with regards to the installation.
You will probably find that they have specified that the customer is to supply and fit the CT chamber, along with the exact type of CT chamber they require.

I doubt the DNO will get involved.
Will get tenant to send over tomoz, so I might end up fitting a CT chamber myself after service head, you would laugh if you see the amount of space I don’t have ? thanks for all the help
[automerge]1578344027[/automerge]
Will get tenant to send over tomoz, so I might end up fitting a CT chamber myself after service head, you would laugh if you see the amount of space I don’t have ? thanks for all the help

I wouldn't fit a CT chamber as the meter operator will ask you to remove it. Ask the meter operator to supply a empty CT chamber for you to fit, then you know your sizes for trunking etc. Remember to leave tails long enough to reach the cutout, you may also have to provide lugs for the tails at the cut out.

Reply to CT panel install - who’s responsibility in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net