Discuss CU Change help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Before I begin my tale of woe, I have my tin hat ready!

I'm retired from the trade, I started out just as the 16th came in and had a rather interesting career before being thrown a googly, so I am out of the loop by a few years, yeah I can re-qualify and join a scam but its not going to happen, anyway to keep it short, I would like to replace my CU, a plastic wylex split load that had two 80 A rdc's and nine mcb's and a spare slot, the reasons are as follows:

A) its an ex council house that was rewired in 2010, last periodic was carried out in 2016, a clean sheet except for marking the plastic enclosure as a C3, not had any serious problems until:

B) a few months ago I replaced the shower 45 Amp ceiling isolator with a more robust hager wall mount isolator, the old one had as usual failed, it was while fitting this switch that I decided to check the 4 A mcb terminals for tightness, What I found was that at some point in the past someone must have ripped the head off the clamp screw, cut the hole bigger and fitted an oddball screw, there is a similar situation on a 32A mcb on the other rcd side.

Now I was going to try and obtain direct replacements but they are obsolete, the best wylex could suggest was replace the lot with another series because the bus bar as you know, has been moved a tad so it wont fit the rcd's either, meaning a full change, if I have to do that I may as well swap the entire board and go with rcbo, having one spare way for future expansion.

The problem is I need this doing and need the paperwork, money isn't the problem, getting someone is, I have asked two companies up here in Merseyside and no one got back over it despite the job being free of problems, possibly I picked the wrong people who knows.

I carried out a full test myself after finding the tampered clamps, I can provide the last periodic along with my recent results, no problems , no open rfc's and insulation on 8 circuits is 1000M ohm at 500V and one thats 800M ohm possibly due to moisture in the wall that comes and goes, and every outlet has been replaced with scolmores, either white or steel.

There are no hidden surprises, no damaged cables under the floors and attic and no hidden junction boxes, but I do have two correctly fitted accessible wago boxes in the attic to provide a tap off the lighting for the shower fan and attic lights, its really rather boring really.

Now I know I may get flack and it may be deserved but I believe the conditions are good and it should be on the face of it, a nice clean job, fresh coffee and a little banter and that's it, anything unexpected then it will be resolved no problem.

Finally (and I can hear some say about time), is there any one here who is near Merseyside who would like to take this on or do you know anyone who may be interested ?

One mast thing, three months ago I had the DNO replace the service head and earth ( TN-S ) because I didn't like the look of the earth, rightly so it was in poor condition and we now have a new 100A grey service incomer that match the grey 25mm tails.

Phew, thats it, thank you.

--

I'm getting old and stupid, I said 9 rcb's, theres 8 and on 6 A rcbo for the smoke detectors.

Attachments

• consumer unit.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
You would be able to get replacement breakers for that there are loads on the second hand market.

You would be able to get replacement breakers for that there are loads on the second hand market.

Yeah ....I could but would prefer going new :) I think when a professional refers to the cu as 'that' then its time it went :)
[automerge]1576097159[/automerge]
I have just been ordered. err informed that lunch can be provided for any takers, well I think that's what she said...... must be, everyone gets fed and watered here.
[automerge]1576098850[/automerge]
I have just been ordered. err informed that lunch can be provided for any takers, well I think that's what she said...... must be, everyone gets fed and watered here.

Think its worth a shot at messing him or waiting to see if he picks it up, I know its a busy time and that ?

Last edited:
I have to look ahead with this, its 10 years old and already having replacement problems and there was that odd recall on ome of those mcb's that caused some concern. I have no doubt it can be kept serviceable but given the option to go for new and rcbo then I would prefer that but I am willing to listen to any words of wisdom, I would probably learn something from it.

Never be too old to learn nor to proud to be wrong.

the recall of a 6amp mcb that was Meany years ago ,
A very small number of Electrium MCBs, sold under the brand names Wylex, Crabtree (Loadstar only) and Volex are not perfroming to the required characteristics. This can lead to a potential risk of burning, in a small number of installations.

Models affected

MCB Rating: 6 Amp
Wylex: NSB06
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B06
Volex: VB06

MCB Rating: 10 Amp
Wylex: NSB10
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B10
Volex: VB10

MCB Rating: 16 Amp
Wylex: NSB16
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B16
Volex: VB16

Theres a few old threads about the 6A and 16A MCB's and the recall itself covering I think 2009 to 2010 but only certain batch numbers, to be honest its the main reason I was put off obtaining old stock, with my luck and all that.

Anyway this CU was installed in march 2010 as far as I know from the records we got when we bought the place, so about the same time as the recall.

--
[automerge]1576106525[/automerge]
Thats the one Buzz, thank you, saved me digging it out, yeah its an old recall, caused a bit of worry and you know when you doubt something once, it sort of stays, that could be just me though.
[automerge]1576106577[/automerge]
the recall of a 6amp mcb that was Meany years ago ,
A very small number of Electrium MCBs, sold under the brand names Wylex, Crabtree (Loadstar only) and Volex are not perfroming to the required characteristics. This can lead to a potential risk of burning, in a small number of installations.

Models affected

MCB Rating: 6 Amp
Wylex: NSB06
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B06
Volex: VB06

MCB Rating: 10 Amp
Wylex: NSB10
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B10
Volex: VB10

MCB Rating: 16 Amp
Wylex: NSB16
Crabtree (Loadstar only): 6M1B16
Volex: VB16

Thats the one Buzz, thank you, saved me digging it out, yeah its an old recall, caused a bit of worry and you know when you doubt something once, it sort of stays, that could be just me though.

Maybe you have always fancied sticking "fridge magnets on it"
..do they mess up RCBO calibration..

Upgrading RCDs that get swamped by DC .. could be a reason !

If that was thrown in my direction then I assure you there is not going to be magnets stuck on it, cant stand the things, always falling off, I stick em on with hot snot !
[automerge]1576107241[/automerge]
I best scoot till early tomorrow, thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

I’ve rectified loooooads of those faulty wylex/volex recall mcbs. Still won’t touch wylex, even now ?

it fell out of a back of a lorry ,or some bodys house when they weren't :p looking.lol.
OI. I'll have you know we don't nick off back of lorries ( except for smuggled cigs.). all our gear comes from a reputable fence.

Reply to CU Change help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net