Discuss CU outside the front door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DJAndy

Arms
Reaction score
I've been asked to 'remove the light cable over the front door' so as I was passing I decided to take a quick look before contacting the tenants.

Picture is taken from the path, the head, meter and CU are in the storm porch outside what is now the front door. Presumably the cable I'm to remove is the pendant set.

Thoughts?

IMG_20210114_164921.jpg

I'm glad it's not just me that doesn't like it.

It's a student town, I'm surprised their power doesn't get turned off often for the lols.

I suspect the manufacturers installation instructions would state their products (of this type) are only suitable for installation indoors. As that porch is missing a door, then the manufacturers instructions, haven't been taken into account.

I suspect the manufacturers installation instructions would state their products (of this type) are only suitable for installation indoors. As that porch is missing a door, then the manufacturers instructions, haven't been taken into account.
I don't think the people who removed the door would give a ----.

When was that CU put in? Date shows 2020,but that might just be last inspection.
An IP rated CU, or properly boxed in would be fine.
Cables leave the CU in flexible conduit? but whether they are glanced into the CU correctly?

I think that has always been like that. No outer door. Check the neighbouring properties.

When was that CU put in? Date shows 2020,but that might just be last inspection.
An IP rated CU, or properly boxed in would be fine.
Cables leave the CU in flexible conduit? but whether they are glanced into the CU correctly?

I think that has always been like that. No outer door. Check the neighbouring properties.
You can clearly see where there was once a door, and it looks like it was taken out quite recently judging by the paint on the brick and the shinny old screw fixing that has been cut during removal.

Whether or not the CU was installed before or after is difficult to tell. My guess is it was exchanged quite recently in 2020.

like the lottery. about a 20million to one chance of a prize.

Reply to CU outside the front door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net