Discuss Customer thinks I’m ripping him off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

why do you think i'm still working at 72?. OK, state pension pays essentials like beer and smokes. for luxuries like bills and food, i need to work
That's about the 150th time you have told that joke.o_O

Why are you still working at 72? My aim is to wrap up full time around 55, although would still be doing bits and bobs.

Why are you still working at 72? My aim is to wrap up full time around 55, although would still be doing bits and bobs.

It's his age.. getting forgetful. :)

I'm not sure I'd do well retired either TBH although I've a bit to go yet. :D

was no joke, more a statement of fact. at 72 though, i don't work full time and only take on small jobs. mentally i could not envisage stopping at home daytime watching crap on the telly and vegetating.

.I must admit that being the wrong side of 60 I'm not as fast as someone half my age. I think what sinks me every time is the costs associated with the business...things like paying for and running a van, accountancy fees, insurance etc. Would love to know how others deal with this without becomeing uncompetitive

i'm no spring chicken, either... ? but when you're the "other side" of 50, you usually have mountains of experience, are usually really good with people, and are usually someone who wants to do a quality job.
those three qualities alone, make you very hire-able.

Before my current job, I ran a "sole trader" business in "garden & property maintenance". This was a kind of "experiment" in a way, since I wanted to find out just how easy (or difficult) being "self-employed" really is..

Using very low-cost (well free) advertising, I just advertised locally. The phone rang. I got one regular client (who ran a large three-storey home and various "student properties"). Most of my other "clients" were "one-off" jobs, or "clients that caused endless problems". After a time, you get better at accessing jobs (and crucially) you get a feel for "customer personalities".

What you're talking about above is "overheads". Running a van, accountancy and insurance are all overhead. No profit... What the pros do is find ways to continually cut their overheads all the time. This is the secret to success in any business. The more you're saving, the more you're maximizing profit ?

thanks for reading, NB ?

my last post i was 72. now 74 and still at it. won't be much longer though. legs knackered.

hi @telectrix

thanks for your contributions to my other threads ?

my last post i was 72. now 74 and still at it. won't be much longer though. legs knackered.

i took a gander at your profile... (hope you dont mind)? ? (i just had to update mine)!

my father was born same era as your good self, he worked in engineering all his life... the reason I can build shelves today, is because he taught me all about "pilot holes", fixings and using tools. where would I be without him?

sorry to hear about the legs... i'm actually working on an "energy field project" that stimulates brain activity while we sleep... it's a bit "experimental" (to say the least), but you never know... us "over 50s" might give these youngsters a run for their money.

kind regards, NB

Energy field project? Sounds interesting....

but next time someone comes on here asking why they get a tingle off their bed, we now know the reason! ?
or a chinese made electric blanket. ( marked as CE and Double insulated of course).

hi guys & gals:

thanks for good humour and feedback... makes all the difference in these uncertain times...

@littlespark : anyone who has a lego TARDIS as their avatar gets my vote ? (but how many of us know what T.A.R.D.I.S stands for without googling)? ?

energy field research is "interesting" (honest)! once you get into it : without having studied tesla or eric dollard, though, you might find it an uphill struggle. tesla was an outstanding electrical engineer, dollard is an old RCA and navy electrician (who knew his onions). (I think he's still with us...)

Come on guys, there was the American chap with the earth mat in his bed that Lucian had a very in depth conversation with.

knowing this forum well.. "in depth conversation" might be a tongue-in-cheek statement, nevertheless, if I told you guys earthing mats can be refined and integrated with earth's em field (that can then be harmonized) to produce "interesting brainwave activity", would you believe me? (probably not.. and you'd be right to question my findings. Just being able to detect ELF and human em fields is a technical challenge).

@casperLennon : yes, what happened to Brian? (lets hope he's doing ok and will keep in touch).

thanks for reading, NB

i could not envisage stopping at home daytime watching crap on the telly and vegetating.
That's the problem they got us to throw away our , untrendy
VHS copies and DVDs , put Carp on TV,
and sit back expecting to pay for Streaming services.
--CHANGE as ever , never for the better if you are a certain
age ..
Don't police men look young these days !

hi guys & gals:

thanks for good humour and feedback... makes all the difference in these uncertain times...

@littlespark : anyone who has a lego TARDIS as their avatar gets my vote ? (but how many of us know what T.A.R.D.I.S stands for without googling)? ?

energy field research is "interesting" (honest)! once you get into it : without having studied tesla or eric dollard, though, you might find it an uphill struggle. tesla was an outstanding electrical engineer, dollard is an old RCA and navy electrician (who knew his onions). (I think he's still with us...)

knowing this forum well.. "in depth conversation" might be a tongue-in-cheek statement, nevertheless, if I told you guys earthing mats can be refined and integrated with earth's em field (that can then be harmonized) to produce "interesting brainwave activity", would you believe me? (probably not.. and you'd be right to question my findings. Just being able to detect ELF and human em fields is a technical challenge).

@casperLennon : yes, what happened to Brian? (lets hope he's doing ok and will keep in touch).

thanks for reading, NB
TARDIS - OK, I’ll bite. It’s something like Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Not sure if it’s that exactly and I know I’ll kick myself when someone corrects me.

TARDIS - OK, I’ll bite. It’s something like Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Not sure if it’s that exactly and I know I’ll kick myself when someone corrects me.
you're correct there.
1623377935326.png

Reply to Customer thinks I’m ripping him off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net