Discuss Difference between French electrical standards and UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just about to finish my C & G 2330 course and am moving to France. I know that experience counts for pretty much everything but can anyone tell me the fundamental differences between the UK and France in terms of standards.

Thanks,
Matt

there should not be any, as the reason we are going through all the changes to BS7671 is so that all EU country's should have the same standards to work to

We're talking about the French here.
Harmonisation isn't in the French dictionary.

Neither is allowing foreign workers to walk straight into their jobs.
If you're intending working a s French spark, I believe you have some assessing to be done, and not he Part P type quick fix either.

I was in France a few years ago, and the local electrician had retired, he was the only electrician for 3 villages.
I was told I would earn double what I was earning here in the uk.
i think if you get yourself in the right place you should be ok.
good luck

ps to be honest I didn't take too much notice about their wiring but the small cottage I was staying in (and I mean small cottage) had about an 18 way board in, and it looked like nearly everything was on its own radial

Kevin your experience of French domestic wiring differs from mine. From all the properties ive stayed in (and this includes new builds by MGM) the majority of circuits are way overloaded. Such as only being able to use 2 electric hobs on a 4 hob cooker lol because otherwise it trips!
Consumer units outside on a balcony etc, the further away from the capital the more the 'have a go' hero mentality spreads!

That is just personal experience by the way. :)

Kevin your experience of French domestic wiring differs from mine. From all the properties ive stayed in (and this includes new builds by MGM) the majority of circuits are way overloaded. Such as only being able to use 2 electric hobs on a 4 hob cooker lol because otherwise it trips!
Consumer units outside on a balcony etc, the further away from the capital the more the 'have a go' hero mentality spreads!

And they never wash around the ca-balls!

(Definition of soap on a rope in france= A heavy kite)

Think you'll find that has more to do with the supply the local DNO offers consumers. The larger the supply, the higher the standing charges, ...and from what i can tell they can get pretty hefty!! Perhaps an electrician working in France can give a bit more information, i know of at least 2 on the forum, but mainly post in the None UK forum here.

Regarding the person who has not yet finished his 2330!
Unless you have considerable experience of practical experiences, it seems to me a little early to take on plying your trade in a foreign land. My limited experience in French electrics is related to a decent sized 4 bed property with convoluted conduit to every room for heating and lighting circuits. Also a 3line supply to the kitchen for cooker and washing machine, with an individual MCB for each room/cct (all radials). This may have been extra-ordinary but a good solution to high power useage.
France complies with CENELEC who work with the IEC and IET(IEE) to harmonise standards, but I am sure that there are non compliances on both sides of the Channel, not to say that should be encouraged though.
I feel that if you can come to terms with their Earthing/bonding and Testing requirements you will be looking in the right direction, there are lots of Britsparks out there who may offer guidance.

:behead:
don't get it wrong

Reply to Difference between French electrical standards and UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net