Discuss DIY: Wiring a Sonoff T0UK1C smart switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
DIY Advice required. Ive just recently brought a Sonoff T0UK1C wifi smart switch for my Living Room. The existing light switch is ya standard one way switch with live/neutral connected (No earth wire connection - therefore earth is isolated). How would I wire the Sonoff switch in replacement of my existing light switch. The Sonoff smart switch comes with Neutral in, Live in, and I shall assume (Live) out. I attemtpted to wire earlier. Neutral wire to the Neutral In, and Live to Live in. This causes a leakage with my light as the LED (non smart) in my fitting were on (but dimmed) so I suspect some form of live leakage. I switched live wire on the smart switch to (Live) out but lights did not come on (assuming that this was because there was no circuit completed to supply power to lights). Would anyone know the correct configuration for this smart switch with a single Neutral/Live wire - Is the earth wire required in some way with this smart switch - although I have a feeling it isnt. Ive attached an image of the smart switch. Many thanks!

Attachments

• 20221103_133427.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi. Welcome to the forum. The new switch requires a neutral connection. When you say you have a light switch with live and neutral, I suspect what you actually have is a live and a switched live, not a neutral. Could you post a picture of the wiring to the existing switch?

Reactions: DPG
Ahhh right! I did suspect that but went with the live/neutral combo. Yeah sure. I'll add an image on my next reply.

Thanks for the pic. You see the small piece of red sleeving on the black wire? That means the black wire is a switched live, not a neutral. Which means unfortunately you cannot use that particular smart switch in this situation. Unless you add another wire to the circuit, which is probably better done by an electrician.
There are smart switches that don't require a neutral connection.

Reactions: DPG
Oh bummer. Yeah after you said I most likely had a live/switched live with no neutral I was starting to suspect this. Im assuming i CANNOT add capacitance directly to the smart switch. I've just done a quick search on amazon and found some No neutral smart switches on there. I knew I should have looked a bit more before buying this one.

Reply to DIY: Wiring a Sonoff T0UK1C smart switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net