Discuss Door Entry system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, ive been reading all the (well most) of the posts and forums for some time with a lot of advise being handed out to our fellow sparkies so im wondering if anyone can help me. I don't have a great knowledge of door entry systems.

Ive been asked by a Landlord to fix the door entry system all was operational until today (26/7/11).

Normally I wouldn't do this but I am trying to add another string to my bow due to me wanting to go it alone from the company i am employed by

The problem is that the stryker ain't releasing when they push the entry button (only 2 flats on system) in both properties, now when i opened the unit (situated at the external c/p's) i took a picture of what i would describe as a 12v relay unit to drop the power to the stryker unit, is this the unit i need to replace (ill try and add the pic to my post)

System is a Gemini st100 i believe its a 4 wire system as that's what is used at the handset's.

Just as another question, I have also replaced a handset on this system on another install, which was a nightmare task as i had to link out 2 of the terminals (local CEF charged me £35 for a universal handset) Is there a better handset/ way to do this other than bruit ignorance and hoping it worksView attachment David Boyle_24372.pdf.

Sorry for any mistakes or lack of info

Any help/ advice much appreciated in advance.

clip a meter on the solenoid to see if it's getting a voltage when you press the button to open the door. it 's generally 12v , can be ac or dc.

Hi Davey - no your attachment is not clear, all Tel is asking you to do is put your voltmeter across the two terminals on the lock, press the button, and if you get 12 volts, the lock mechanism is knackered - it's a bit difficult if you are alone!

Just thought - you could be getting the correct voltage at the lock but it may be mechanically siezed.

Last edited:
We have an electrical lock which works okay until somebody tries to open the door then punch in the pin number, the pressure on the stryker unit won't allow it to open. You might like to try opening the door, operate the mechanism and see if you can open the stryker with your fingers. It might just be a swollen door not allowing the stryker to release.

Yeah sorry i never posted that part about the lock, the lock is getting the 12v across the contacts but when the tenant tries to release the lock its still getting the full 12v.

So im guessing the lock is faulty not the lock mechanism pcb?

Last edited:
Gemini Access is a company that used to import Genway. Maybe they were putting their name on it? If so, the universal handset won't work.

The output from the Genway system is a switched -ve. This will be triggering a relay board as you have described and would only be used if the solenoid (or lock release) is a fail safe (fail unlocked) type. Either the relay is 'stuck' energised (and therefore keeping power to the lock) because it's faulty, or some external power source is energising the relay and this needs to be found. You can check which, by removing a connection to the relay coil and see if it drops back to the rest position.

Let me know if you need any further assistance

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Door Entry system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net