Discuss Doubling over conductors in ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was wondering. I haven't been to college for about 3 or 4 years now and I can't seem to remember what they said about doubling over conductors in a ring circuit.

So in a ring circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth cable, is it recommended that you double over the conductors before terminating them or in a ring circuit do you not do this and just keep them as single and only double over the conductors only in a spur socket outlet as there is only one set of conductors coming in rather than two.

Or is it that the only time when you don't double over conductors in a ring circuit is when there is three conductors going into the same terminal.

And I think some people like to only double over the CPC.

Just can't seem to remember what my college lecturer said.

Thanks.

as long as the conductors are secure in the terminals, that's all that matters. i usually double ends over if only 1 conductor in the terminal, and usually, but not always, double over the cpc's. with the cage type terminals, doubling over is not normally of any benefit. connect it, tug it, button it up.

The aim when terminating is to ensure as good and secure of a connection as possible (as Tel mentioned) You may have noticed that in some, often large terminal apertures the conductor can slip by the securing screw. This can give the appearance of a secure connection when it is not. Also, if the terminal screw is screwed in too hard it can sometimes squash the conductor so much it becomes weak and liable to snap, you often find this on smaller cables. I tend to double over to avoid both these situations.

The aim when terminating is to ensure as good and secure of a connection as possible (as Tel mentioned) You may have noticed that in some, often large terminal apertures the conductor can slip by the securing screw. This can give the appearance of a secure connection when it is not. Also, if the terminal screw is screwed in too hard it can sometimes squash the conductor so much it becomes weak and liable to snap, you often find this on smaller cables. I tend to double over to avoid both these situations.
i've broken no end (see what i said there) of 1.0mm N and cpc ends in CUs due to trying one of them new-fangled talking drivers. i always double then over .

i've broken no end (see what i said there) of 1.0mm N and cpc ends in CUs due to trying one of them new-fangled talking drivers. i always double then over .
I "talk" (swear at) to my screw drivers all the time! I use a high speed driver to whizz up the screw, set on low torque (to ensure I don't over tighten), then I tighten by hand, give the cable a wiggle and a tug and then just pinch it up a touch to finish.

as long as the conductors are secure in the terminals, that's all that matters. i usually double ends over if only 1 conductor in the terminal, and usually, but not always, double over the cpc's. with the cage type terminals, doubling over is not normally of any benefit. connect it, tug it, button it up.
However, I assume it's not even mandatory to double over a single conductor going into a terminal on it's own either. Is there a regulation on this?

Most terminals have a min-max range of what they are designed to reliably clamp. If your cable is below the minimum value you would have to double over or use a crimp pin, etc, to meet the manufacturer's specification.

But for most domestic CU devices I expect they are rated to clamp as low as 1mm for lights, etc.

Most terminals have a min-max range of what they are designed to reliably clamp. If your cable is below the minimum value you would have to double over or use a crimp pin, etc, to meet the manufacturer's specification.

But for most domestic CU devices I expect they are rated to clamp as low as 1mm for lights, etc.

Makes sense

Is it just me?
Double over when single conductor, not usually when 2 or 3, obviously...
Tighten them up using my wrist-torquedriver...and then, after allowing a wee while for "creep", pinch 'em up a tiny bit before putting the faceplate back on.
CPCs...put all ends in drill-driver, tighten chuck and press the trigger!

Is there a regulation on this?
Thankfully no, other than the general requirement for good workmanship to be used. The regs are not there to teach the technique of being an electrician, that is down to the individual. Look at the terminal design and size, look at the number, size and type of conductors to be terminated, possibly even look at the manufacturers specifications. The using your professional skill and experience, choose the best method to make a mechanically secure, resilient, low-resistance termination in that specific scenario.

Unless I judge it necessary, I don't double over. Socket and switch terminals, at least, are designed to take individual cables. Never have problems.
Donkeys years back, I used to double most but was advised about more stress being exerted on the termination point. Each to their own, I suppose
.....just can't stand RFC's with 'beautifully' twisted together cpc's.

Reply to Doubling over conductors in ring circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net