Discuss downlight switching?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markbaldwin

hi peeps, im installing 12 downlights in a kitchen, im ok with the wiring of the down lights, but im having trouble working out how to wire from the downlight to the switch!! im running 2circuits, do i need 3core+cpc or 4core please help somone!!

Mark, come on I did apologise. Think of it as wiring the first light as a 3 plate then looping a switched live and neutral to the next

haha! how would you wire the switch then, would you need to loop a live wire between the commons? and were would the line swithch go L1?

I don't know if I'm right or not (I'm a trainee like you) but if you think of a switch, it is switching the live, so common would be the incoming power and L1 would be the switched live. So presumably you would take the switched live from L1 to the first downlighter and daisychain them after that? I guess it all depends on the load though... I'm sure I'll be corrected

cheers robinson, so i link the common with the other common and the neutral (switched live) runs to the first light, as you said!

- - - Updated - - -

whoops sorry mate robson!!!!

Since you're both trainees think of this as a bit of homework. You're overthinking this, 2 banks of 6 lightseach controlled by 1 switch. The first on each bank is going to be wired 3 plate. T&E switch drops.
Draw it out, it's a lot easier than you think. Remember loading though.

- - - Updated - - -

cheers robinson, so i link the common with the other common and the neutral (switched live) runs to the first light, as you said!

- - - Updated - - -

whoops sorry mate robson!!!!
No. see above

Coming from another trainee I would say if you need to ask these kind of questions you are in over your head mate. What you have described has a very straight forward solution. Try knocking up a wiring diagram and see if it clicks. Also might be worth joining the Trainee section.

remeber what the wholesales say we dont give out electrical adivce..

but we are happy to sell you any thing you want and it will be cheaper to you than your average spark cause he has an account and you dont ha ha

Reply to downlight switching?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net