Discuss Downlights fitted 5mm -10mm from timber, fire hazard? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Callum07uk

There are newly installed down lighters but the are sitting close to a timber joist above the ceiling, the bulb and the bulb carriers get very hot, I don't beleive the downlighters are fire rated, is this a problem?

Manufacturers instructions would have stated a minimum distance from any combustible materials - including joists. Best advice is to use LED spotlights - they run much cooler.

Heat from lights, timber joist

Is it possible to put some sort of heat proof material between a joist and a downlight in order to prevent a fire?
There is a downlight install 5-10mm from a timber joist, is it necessary to put a flame proof material between them

Re: Heat from lights, timber joist

I suppose you could put some sort of silicone pad screwed to the joist to protect it from the fitting.

If you are installing these as you say then what does the manufacturers instructions say concerning clearance? And if your clearance is less than advised then perhaps you should be thinking about an alternative source of light.

swap the halogens for LEDs.

The flameproof material recommended is an air gap and, as Malcolm pointed out, the clearance is stated by the manufacturer. IIRC about 50mm minimum from joists etc. So your best bet is to move the light to comply with the maker's instructions.

As a next to last resort you could try putting a largish piece of plasterboard to try and shield the wood and to dissipate the heat, a bit.

gum gum for car exhausts i uses for a plastic drain pipe, reflects it, but have since replaced with led's

Fittings should still have been fitted according to manufacturers instructions, but if they are already in then LEDs are a way to make it safe, they don't get anywhere near as hot as halogens - main reason why they are so much more efficient!

Not the one's I've come across, easy enough to change when just turned off unlike halogens where you could be waiting a long time for them to cool down. As a quick fix LED will be fine but as you can also fit halogens in then the best course would be to move the lights as per the manufacturers instructions to avoid heat damage and reduce risk of fire.

a kosnic 5watt is about equivalent to 35watts. 7watt is close to 50watt. check the lumens . decent LEDs will have it printed on the box.

This is the kind of thing I wouldn't be happy with leaving in someone's house, as the GU10s can easily be put back to halogens. But my bathroom has 6 GU10s that are right next to the joists. It's my house, I have no immediate plans to leave, they have LEDs in them, so I'm happy!

we had one today at a house up burley in wharfdale......mr16 fitting that had been `notched` into a ceiling joist above a shower enclosure.....wouldn`t sit rite into the ceiling and as a consequence was full of moisture....tranny on this had given up the ghost.....and what a pig it was to replace n all........the joiner who had boarded out the loft forgot to site the tranny in a place where you could grab it through the hole.....and had trapped the secondry side cables to the fitting.....

Reply to Downlights fitted 5mm -10mm from timber, fire hazard? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock