Discuss EAL test and inspection course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi,
has anyone taken the EAL version of the 2394 and 2395 that C&G provide.
if so what do people think to the course and how quick are the results given to you as I know C&G tend to make you wait 6 weeks to get the result for each exam.

C&G is a well known name, so their qualifications are universally known.
EAL - who are they? They may say their qualifications are the equivalent, but most people have never heard of them, so would be sceptical that they are equivalent.

Aren't these the ''open book'' exam courses... Pretty pointless if they are!! Though i believe we have one college tutor here that seems to think otherwise!! Hmmmmm!!

Isn't it just the awarding body that's different ? I think the EAL ones are open book whereas C & G are not but there can't be that much different in the courses themselves can there ? Same name and number , misleading if so .

Been looking at these just lately (well banging my head against a wall while trying to get a straight answer from a college ) and there's as many EAL courses as C & G , if not more . Seems that way to me anyway .

Yea they are multiple choice open book with a practical exam which does seem abit of an easy route to pass the exam, but doing it that way from what I gather you do it all in 4/5 days with a result at the end as opposed to the waiting game that c&g do with there exams, im only curious simply because im thinking of going self employed and to join napit or anywhere else they require you to have this qualification and it is recognised so does it really matter who you have passed it with aslong as yo prove your competance.
I may have it all wrong about the EAL version but thats why I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone has taken the exams.

Isn't it just the awarding body that's different ? I think the EAL ones are open book whereas C & G are not but there can't be that much different in the courses themselves can there ? Same name and number , misleading if so .

Been looking at these just lately (well banging my head against a wall while trying to get a straight answer from a college ) and there's as many EAL courses as C & G , if not more . Seems that way to me anyway .
where do you live ?

Be careful as JIB might no recognise it if you go for an approved JIB card etc. I'd give them a call if I were you as I'd be wanting that on my JIB card

where do you live ?

County Durham but very close to Cumbria and Northumberland also .

Gateshead do the C & G 2395 but not the 2394 . Durham say they will contact you when enough have enrolled . Sunderland I don't think do it at all . Kendal is not far either but all there's are EAL I think , as is Hartlepool and Derwentside .

There's the Faraday centre and a couple of other training places for C & G but to be honest i'd rather use a college .

"JIB Handbook 2014
(3) Must have demonstrated competence in Inspection and Testing and obtained either the Level
3 Certificate in the Certification of Electrical Installations (inspection, testing and certification
of electrical installations) or both the Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification
of Electrical Installations and the Level 3 Award in the Periodic, Inspection, Testing and
Certification of Electrical Installations (see Note 1).
Note 1: Both the qualifications are needed to cover the full scope of Inspection and Testing.
City & Guilds 2394 or the EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification
of Electrical Installations and the City & Guilds 2395 or the EAL Level 3 Award in
the Periodic, Inspection
, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations contain
common theory elements within them. Given the level of training undertaken by
ECS cardholders, the relevant theory element only needs to be taken once. These
qualifications should be considered to be two parts of the same qualification.
Operatives who already hold the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Certificate in
the Certification of Electrical Installations (inspection, testing and certification of
electrical installations) do not need to attain the new qualifications.
The employer will ensure that the cost of a first attempt at the training scheme and
examinations for Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations is met
without cost to the operative when they have"

Quote taken from JIB hand book section 4 Grades, which I downloaded from the JIB website.

If these EAL courses ARE ''open book'' then why have an examination at all, pretty damned pointless... An important level 3 exam course that's open book, ...Jesus!! No wonder we get novice type questions from so-called ''Qualified Electricians'' holding this qualification and that....

And people keep telling me that standards aren't dropping, some even try to convince that standards are improving!!! ...Yeah right, pull the other leg it's got silver bells on!! lol!!

I'm currently doing the EAL version now as a second year apprenticeship and my NVQ assessor has assured us that the EAL version is as accepted as the C&G. I did C&G last year on my Level 2 and all I can tell in difference is a prettier certificate [emoji23]

I think the benefit of the old C&G courses was that people had heard of them - everyone knew what the 2391 was, and in fact agencies and employers still ask for it. If you say you've got the EAL inspection and testing qualification which is just as good then it confuses them and they think you're trying to pull a fast one. Likewise saying you've got the C&G 2394 and 2395 which are the updated versions of the 2391. If they ask 'are you 2391?' they want a 'yes', not a load of numbers which they don't understand.
Now C&G have changed the course numbers it doesn't seem to make much difference whether you do C&G or EAL.

C&G is a well known name, so their qualifications are universally known.
EAL - who are they? They may say their qualifications are the equivalent, but most people have never heard of them, so would be sceptical that they are equivalent.

i have LEVEL 2 3 4 diploma with eal and its not open book all exams are on line and no books

i have LEVEL 2 3 4 diploma with eal and its not open book all exams are on line and no books
Welcome to the Forum, just note the date, this was posted shortly after the EAL became mainstream and was really unknown then, although in comparison to the C&G the EAL still isn't universally recognised by companies.

Reply to EAL test and inspection course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net