Discuss Earthing To Gas Meter in Multi Occupancy Building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All
I am currently engaged in the 1st fix of a new 3 storey building which houses 12 1 or 2 bed flats. Each flat has its own Consumer Unit (fed from a meter on the ground floor) with a gas and water supply . The stop cock for each flat is located in the airing cupboard so no probs there where main bonding is concerned. The problem I have is each of the gas meters are being put on the outside of the building on the ground floor so do I take my main bond for the gas from each flat to the meter positions? The first flat I have to wire is on the 3rd floor and at the back of the building. I am sure that the gas meters should be closer to the flat but the developer insists they must all be on the ground floor.. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I live in a similar sounding apartment block of 9 flats.
All the services are on the ground floor in a communal area of the landing. Thats gas and electricity meters, plus the isolators.
(that way the meter people can read everything while people are out in the day.)
I'll take a look and see what they did as far as bonding is concerned in the gas cupboard.
I always imagined they bonded where the services came into the building..?
But you got me thinking now.

I phoned the NIC a while back to ask the same question. All gas meters where in a cupboard on the ground floor they had a communal 10mm earth linking them all together and back to the main MET at the 3 phase head and ryefeild unit. The NIC insisted that you should earth all services from the flat CU as they enter the flat, it doesn't matter that its not within 600mm of the meter or stopcock.

Last edited by a moderator:
The company I worked for had a contract with transco, I always earthed the gas pipe when in entered the property as long as there were no tee's in the pipework before it entered.

I phoned the NIC a while back to ask the same question. All gas meters where in a cupboard on the ground floor they had a communal 10mm earth linking them all together and back to the main MET at the 3 phase head and ryefeild unit. The NIC insisted that you should earth all services from the flat CU as they enter the flat, it doesn't matter that its not within 600mm of the meter or stopcock.

Would agree with this but make sure that when bonding all the gas meters that the earth cable is NOT cut at any point when linking between meters or from the MET

For a service pipe, the main bonding conductor should be connected as near as possible to the point where the service enters the building. The connection must be before any branched pipework and on the consumers side of any meter. If possible the connection should be made within 600mm of the meter outlet. Where the meter is outside, the bonding connection should be made at the point of entry of the service into the building. 544.1.2

Reply to Earthing To Gas Meter in Multi Occupancy Building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net