Discuss Electricians and Electrical Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you doing okay yourself, your business, your mind?

• Yea not so bad

Votes: 138 68.0%
  • Mind is taking a beating

Votes: 38 18.7%
  • Business is picking up

Votes: 59 29.1%
  • Business is going bump

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Customers are scared

Votes: 20 9.9%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am slightly different to you all as I am a safety consultant, I look after a lot of construction as well as another wing of the business including engineering, Glass manufacturers, bingo halls lots of individual trades with CHAS etc. This means I am always busy but of course everything died April/May and slowly started to revive through June and now back to full strength. I realise I am one of the lucky ones as a lot of clients decided to upgrade their policies training etc which kept me busy. Anyway good to hear most of you on here are getting by if not overwhelmed. Stay Safe.

As a Customer, I've had guys in to look at my heating system (Air Source Heat Pump) and it worked very well. They arrived at the door wearing PPE, explained their requirements re Social Distancing and got on with the work. It really wasn't that different since I usually let them get on with things and only go "help" when required. As long as customers understand Social Distancing and cleaning down afterwards it should be easy.

Lost apprenticeship because of coronavirus. Transferring to AM2e as my only hope to get qualified. Need my house rewiring and have money in the bank and public liability insurance... CANNOT find a single electrician near me willing to let me work on it to get my portfolio completed. Rather starve than work with a girl? I don't get what the problem is. Have ongoing work for mobile and transportable units too. Literally no takers. York.

We will keep this thread going and start one in the arms for those who want keep it out the eyes of public.

I need hear of people doing well for my own mind. But then those who aren't shout out so we can help.

Lost apprenticeship because of coronavirus. Transferring to AM2e as my only hope to get qualified. Need my house rewiring and have money in the bank and public liability insurance... CANNOT find a single electrician near me willing to let me work on it to get my portfolio completed. Rather starve than work with a girl? I don't get what the problem is. Have ongoing work for mobile and transportable units too. Literally no takers. York.
if you were in my area, i'd help out , no problem.

Having had, we believe, the virus and a self enforced isolation, I am doing well, not as busy as before but I have a good base of property and customers to look after, many shops, flats, village halls, and a large apartment complex which is what kept me going for a little while with pre-planned maintenance.
Things are picking up all the time with many places getting ready for eventual re-opening, so decoration, renovation, testing and maintenance meaning lots of local trades are doing well. Affluent area helps as does the relative spacing of the population, who seem to be being cautious but positive and willing to bring people in to get the work done.
A plumber friend is struggling but improving whereas a decorator friend hasn't stopped :rolleyes:

it had been quite scary when it first went into lock down because not everybody was sure on how to go about doing the work
The site we were working on shut down for period of 2/3 weeks until measure were brought in, because we were told nobody was working on site
we decide that if nobody was on site than it be better to go in and carry on working with a sensible approach of social distance/ working apart and no borrowing of tools.Also advice all my sparkys to bring own flask and food and keeping everything contained.
Like many sparks we were doing more call outs than usual because of the DIY Charlies doing the man cave or the sheds and getting it wrong.
but work wise during covid 19 we have been busy.
my advice is have list of sensible questions ready for the customer for the call out before jumping in, so that its safe from your part to approach and get the call out done quicker
question like:
1.does anybody hav the flu in the family
2.any old parents living
3.where is fuse board located
4.photos shoot the problems and send them over to you.
5. if entering the property keep all doors wedge open so that its less handling of handles
6.payment by card or online transfer.

hope this helps ;)

Worked through most of the lockdown, had too many calls where people being at home doing there own electrics and getting it so wrong. Since we have had some sort of normality (whatever normal is) I've been snowed under, seems lots of people not going away want to spend money on improvements round here. (bedfordshire)

This been case for me to Andy. Lot of DIY bodgers had to rescue. Bit of a saving grace initially but now really busy. The new regs on landlord EICRs has created a lot of demand in my area I think. As first year I count my blessings things going well as at beginning of lock down come close to calling it quits but future looking up. Website getting lots more enquires God knows how they stumble across it but has definately proved to be one of my best investments

if you were in my area, i'd help out , no problem.

I've decided to do my initial verification qualification at tradeskills4u and just do it myself. 16 electrical companies contacted and not one willing to let me help out and get portfolio proof on what is a £1500 3-4 day job. Five of whom I said experience for my son who was made redundant... I think you can guess that 5 are now on the naughty list.
[automerge]1595976016[/automerge]
...and 11 are on the "tell all your friends to tell all their friends" list.

Last edited:
My point is, can you get x2 t+e cables terminated in it? Feed in and feed to next detector?
LOL been asking around for 3 years. I don't want to sit and watch the tumbleweed rolling by that empty thread either. I'll post you all pictures when it's done.
Please do post some pics. I really feel your pain. Id offer to help but am in north Scotland so its a bit far for you to commute!

Just getting back to full days working, and I’m taking tomorrow off. Feeling shabby.

See here for details;
Source URL: And today started out so well..... - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/and-today-started-out-so-well.188986/

It's, still non stop here. Offered a partial rewire of a large bungalow today but don't think I can fit it in with the timescales so will recommend some local sparks to the customer. Turning work away, a lot of which is people calling wanting somebody tomorrow.
I'm working Saturdays at moment, usually lots of little bits to clear the diary.
If there is anybody close to Bath / Bristol who is qualified and can provide insurance, quals etc and wants some work in next couple of months let me know as I will be passing details to customers.

Back to full pelt now, it went a bit quiet at first but I've got the lads back and we are snowed under so you won't hear me complaining.

Reply to Electricians and Electrical Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread) in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock