Discuss Electrics Upgrade Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mysearch

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I just joined today as a new member and tried to post a new thread in the 'DIY Electrical Advice' sub-forum, but it appears to be locked. If this is not an appropriate forum for my questions may be somebody could copy it to the right one or point me towards another forum. Thanks.

Intended Post:
I was hoping I might get some advice on a number of issues. My son recently bought a 25 year old 3-bedroom detached house and now wants me to help him to fit a new kitchen/utility area. While I have done a lot of DIY stuff over the years, I realise that build regs now restrict the DIYer from certain jobs, although this apparently did not stop the last owner doing some ‘cowboy’ installations. Anyway, getting to the issues:

Issue-1: Consumer Unit &RCDs
Currently the house only has a fuse box with the following circuits (2*5A, 2*30A, 2*15A), which I assume are upstairs & downstairs lights, upstairs & downstairs mains. I am not really sure what both 15A circuits power, e.g. immersion heater & ???. However, I believe it would be sensible to replace the fuse box with 17[SUP]th[/SUP] consumer unit (CU) with 2 RCD’s plus up to 10 MCB circuits.

Q: Can RCD be problematic when fitted to older wiring installations?
Q: Would people recommend Wylex products from Wickes?

Wylex Consumer Units & Accessories | Electrical | Wickes.co.uk

Issue-2: Consumer Unit & MCBs
In order to handle the kitchen and utility requirements I was thinking of getting a 10 MCB CU fitted (professionally+cert) with the following sizes:

2*6A, 2*32A, 2*16A: covers the original circuits +
1*6A, 1*32A: covers a new light and mains circuit in the garage/utility area
2*32A: radial 10mm cable radial circuits for electric oven and hob

I thought it might be sensible to have the utility room in the garage on its own circuits. Looking at the specs for electric oven and hobs, it seems that many would either push or exceed the sensible current loading of a mains ring, even ignoring anything else on the circuit. Therefore, I thought that it might be easier to have the oven and hobs on separate circuits with individual double pole isolation switches.
Wickes 45A Double Pole Switch With Neon | Wickes.co.uk

Q: Is this proposal sensible?

Issue-3: 10mm Radial circuits
The CU would replace the fuse box in the garage and barring the concern about RCD problems with old wiring, this should be a straightforward job, which I am assuming might cost £100 for CU+MCBs and £300-£400 installation. I was assuming that the electrician might also wire up the new light and mains MCBs to appropriately rated junction boxes to which the new circuits in the utility area could be connected at a later date. However, the 10mm radial wiring would have to be run from the CU to the kitchen and I am not sure of the restriction regarding installing this type of cable. For example, the total length of these cables would be ~12m, the first 5m inside the garage attic area, which could then be drilled though to the kitchen. Inside the kitchen, I was hoping that these cables could be embedded in the wall running horizontally near the ceiling, if suitably protected with a metal conduit.

Wickes Galvanised Steel Channelling 25mmx2m | Wickes.co.uk

Q: Is this possible?

Realise that this may be too many questions for one post, but would really appreciate any knowledgeable help on any of the issues raised. Many Thanks

10mm cable seems OTT. you need to get an electrician to design and install everything for you. what's your rough location. sure there are members close to you would be happy to give you a free quote.

Wot he said ^ ^ ^ ^

If it helps, my basic cost for a CU change, including the board and MCB's but excluding bonding and faults is £350.00 inc cert and LABC notification.

Get a couple of local sparks round to take a look and assist you.

Reply to Electrics Upgrade Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net