Discuss Exterior Light Box Depth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

GregPS

DIY
Reaction score
hello, we recently had our siding replaced with hardie board. Where there was a wall mounted light the siding installer left 4" round hole that is slightly less than 1" deep. The old wire just comes out through a hole in the plywood sheathing and there is a 4" diameter x 1/2" thick electrical box mounted directly to the plywood. I think this is pretty similar to what was there originally.

So new siding = new light and the issue is, the light my wife and I picked out has a transformer that is mounted on the back of the mounting bracket and is too long for the space. The transformer itself is almost 1-1/2" long, so obviously if installed in this set up would stick out way too far.

I feel like to accommodate this light I will need a deeper box and one that would penetrate into the wall cavity so that the light is flush with the finished service. Is there a box someone can recommend for this? If I were to cut away the plywood in the same 4" circular hole, I wouldn't have anything to mount a deeper box to.

Attachments

• 20220611_202825.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220611_202846.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220611_202800.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 6
I'd imagine there will be something suitable, but hopefully our resident American expert @Megawatt might have some ideas as there is a lot more crossover in fittings with Canada.

hello, we recently had our siding replaced with hardie board. Where there was a wall mounted light the siding installer left 4" round hole that is slightly less than 1" deep. The old wire just comes out through a hole in the plywood sheathing and there is a 4" diameter x 1/2" thick electrical box mounted directly to the plywood. I think this is pretty similar to what was there originally.

So new siding = new light and the issue is, the light my wife and I picked out has a transformer that is mounted on the back of the mounting bracket and is too long for the space. The transformer itself is almost 1-1/2" long, so obviously if installed in this set up would stick out way too far.

I feel like to accommodate this light I will need a deeper box and one that would penetrate into the wall cavity so that the light is flush with the finished service. Is there a box someone can recommend for this? If I were to cut away the plywood in the same 4" circular hole, I wouldn't have anything to mount a deeper box to.
You can go to Home Depot, Lowes or your local parts house and buy you an extension ring for that box and install a raised cover

Reply to Exterior Light Box Depth in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net