Discuss External armoured cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CWLpercy

DIY
Reaction score
Please can a qualified electrician help me please!
I have just had a studio built at the end of my garden, and they have left the armoured cable running overground alongside the outside wall. But it hasn’t been clipped or anything!
Is this illegal?? If so, What section of electrical regs is this referred to in it?

I would also view it as a trip hazard

it's not illegal. although it contravenes BS7671. should be cleated to a solid wall or buried inderground with suitable protection against damage. get them back. chapter 52. sections 521 and 522. cables should be supported throughout the length of their run.

I have just had a studio built at the end of my garden, and they have left the armoured cable running overground alongside the outside wall. But it hasn’t been clipped or anything!
Is this illegal?? If so, What section of electrical regs is this referred to in it?

No it is not illegal - the "Electric police" won't intervene.

The only requirement is protection against physical damage - which in general an armoured cable inherently has protection.

There are two regulations 522.8.4 and 522.8.5, I can't remember which is which off hand, but one states along the lines of "where cables are not supported continuously due to the method of installation, they shall be fixed at intervals" and the other that "cables shall be supported such there is no excess mechanical strain"

Lying along the ground is supported continuously so does not breach any regulations, however normal practice would be either to bury it, or fix it so that is doesn't get pulled away etc.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum mate.
Out of interest, what was in the quote for fixing the cable?
Is this a new circuit? e.g. does the cable go back to the consumer unit or is it tapped off a ring main. (FRC)
Have you received a cert for the work from the electrician?

Its not illegal, its just poor work. In all honesty your best bet is to ask them to come back and fix it because there are very little other avenues to go down for a rough looking cable which sadly leads to people like this doing poor work and getting away with it

As above , unless you can convince the people to come back and bury the cable or cleat it , then you will just have to live with it...
the standards of most peoples work these days is absolutely shocking and very little you can do about it...
it really is a rush to the bottom out these

I don’t own a spade, so I clear it with the customer first that I’ll run the cable if they bury it.

tell them to use sand and warning tape as well ;)

I don’t own a spade, so I clear it with the customer first that I’ll run the cable if they bury it.

tell them to use sand and warning tape as well ;)

im exactly the same , but leave them a roll of warning tape (billed for of course) when I leave site.
I gave up digging holes for customers 20 years ago...

Reply to External armoured cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net