Discuss Extra RCD on off peak F / Obsolete Switch / Economy 7 / Retro fit MCB's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

it may not connect to the off peak CU, the cable could just pass through or behind. can't tell without the covers being taken off.
Thank you! It passes through it, for the bathroom fan heater. There's a fan heater in the kitchen, and a couple of panel heaters upstairs, all connected to the same circuit as the sockets. Assumed the bathroom heater was the same, but no, through this RCD.

Q1 has now been answered
Q2 yes an electrician should be able to disconnect this but may need a temporary disconnection from SSE (could be done at the time of the meter change if going to E7).
Q3 generally off peak F would be a good thing for storage heaters to boost the supply in the afternoon as in heavy use they often get cold, however if you find that they do not a boost in the afternoon then E7 may be OK, thought later owners may feel differently, but F is not really a current tariff any more. However if 25% is going to on peak then you are possibly on the borderline of effectiveness, difficult to say with being able to directly assess the loading on site. The change to a single meter would require the electrician to be there at the time they disconnect (for the best cost effectiveness)with an isolator ready to fit and henley blocks to split the supply installed ready to swap over when they change the meters.
Q4 has been answered.

Q1 has now been answered
Q3 generally off peak F would be a good thing for storage heaters to boost the supply in the afternoon as in heavy use they often get cold, however if you find that they do not a boost in the afternoon then E7 may be OK, thought later owners may feel differently, but F is not really a current tariff any more. However if 25% is going to on peak then you are possibly on the borderline of effectiveness, difficult to say with being able to directly assess the loading on site. The change to a single meter would require the electrician to be there at the time they disconnect (for the best cost effectiveness)with an isolator ready to fit and henley blocks to split the supply installed ready to swap over when they change the meters.

Thank you Richard, that's very helpful. I've worked out that 22% of total use is standard energy, and 78% off peak F. Having the boost in the afternoon is good for the colder months.
If you look at 7 of the off peak hours transferred to economy 7 night rate, and the remaining 3.5 hours would be added the standard/off peak day rate, the usage shifts to 48% day & 52% night.
This would be a saving of up to £200 a year, but loosing the afternoon boost, so possibly increasing the need for an extra heater.
So this has led to the conclusion that it's probably best to stick with off peak f, and not change. Thank you

Thank you all. Much appreciated to have all my questions answered.In summary:
Q1 - the RCD goes through (not to) the CU to feed 1 heater that was overlooked. My mistake!
Q2 The old TV supply is likely to need a temporary disconnection from SSE in order to be removed by an electrician.
Q3 Off peak F is probably better for storage heaters with the afternoon boost.
Because less than 25% is going to on peak (22% on peak, 78% off peak) then staying with off peak rather than changing economy 7 is likely to be best.
Econ. 7 may initially seem less expensive, but increase day use by loosing the boost may off set any cost benefit.
Q4 Replacing the cartridge fuses with mcbs will offer no better protection, and if the earth fault loop impedance of the circuits is too high then the mcbs may be worse than the cartridge fuses.
Thanks all :)

Is it me or have I seen that picture before? Just remember the cobwebs and Henry hoover - no offence OP, have you posted before about this?

Otherwise, it's just a case of deja vu or I've started to early :)

Reply to Extra RCD on off peak F / Obsolete Switch / Economy 7 / Retro fit MCB's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net