Discuss Fire in domestic kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Popped up to see a neighbour last night to look at, and disconnect their old cooker hood.
Something on the hob caught fire, and the hood simply sucked the flames up into the extraction duct.
Fire brigade, etc etc

My question is, has the the hood been improperly fitted?
12 year old house. Hood ducts up into the ceiling, then turns horizontal and runs about 1.3m to outside. All ducting in plastic flexiduct.

They were worried that it should have been metal.... but the hood fan blades, the fan casing, the ducting reducer, all part of the hood, are all plastic.

I’m going to replace the ducting if they source a new hood. I’m thinking solid plastic rather than flexi, as I think that might be an issue.

Also to price up heat detector as recommended by the fire brigade

Plastic Flexi is/was very common for hoods.
My own at home is metallic, similar,
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manro...lexible-ducting-hose-silver-10m-x-100mm/37075

Nowadays plastic is retardant but I doubt it was years ago.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manro...VFJzVCh2RTwYLEAQYAyABEgKq3fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it is going into the ceiling, it could well be penetrating a fire barrier.
Is there living space above?

A metal duct would be better but will not provide a fire barrier if one is required.

People are always going on about fire rated downlights, they are small holes in the plaster board.

A duct directly over a source of ignition is likely to be far more of a risk than half a dozen downlighters.

Bedrooms of the same property above.
Yes flexi is common for hoods, but my experiences have been very short lengths through a wall behind, or solid plastic duct on top of kitchen cabinets running sideways.

I can’t see anything wrong when most of the hood itself was plastic. I’m putting it down to cooking methods.

And today’s discovery answers the question why flexiduct was used.

E7204266-8919-4FD2-9DC3-55AC65A17764.jpeg

That is the heating pipes running through where the duct needs to be.

0605CE98-0C6C-4FD1-AE46-891A867E9EA1.jpeg

And from the inside.... cables as well.

ive managed to pull the ducting in, running under the pipe.

Reply to Fire in domestic kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net