Discuss Requirements for a small kitchen in non domestic situation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked to wire up a small kitchen for a local charity.

1 x 32a cooker
4 x sockets
fridge/Dishwasher
Cooker Hood
2kW water heater

It's a drop in centre, not a commercial kitchen.

It's a little out of my comfort zone with regards regulations though.

At present it is just a storage area, it has a fire alarm in it which looks similar to the one in the picture below. I expect it will be optical.
fire alarm.jpg

My questions are..

1. Do I need to use LSZH cable for all new cables?
The kitchen will not be an escape route.

2. Can I change the fire alarm for a heat alarm?
If this was domestic I would simply change it for a heat alarm and make sure it was linked to the others. Is this the same with this type of alarm? Will it just be a PL, N and link wire?

3. Are there any other requirements/regulations?
This is purely in addition to domestic regulations which I am fully aware of (eg 300mm from sink etc etc.)

4. Is it ok to have cables loose in the ceiling?
In these type of premises I always see the cables loosely sitting above the ceiling. It is those small square removeable tiles in the ceiling interlaced by small metal strips keeping them in place (not sure what this is called). Is it acceptable to have them like this or should there be some kind of containment?

Last edited:
Stop worrying hippy and wire it up. No different than house.
Design install test
I noticed one person had replied. Great I thought, all 4 questions will be answered. I suppose in a way they were ?

You should just be able to swap the smoke head for a heat if they are still in production, twist off put the new one on and I would complete a fire alarm modification certificate. Cables in the void must fixed to prevent premature collapse but containment isn't necessary. Location of accessories is no different no matter the type of kitchen, it is really just external influences.

The smoke detector looks like a panel job. It won’t be mains powered (12v possibly?)
Should be able to just twist it off it’s base and replace with a heat, but ask the building supervisor in case doing so sets off the alarms.

The smoke detector looks like a panel job. It won’t be mains powered (12v possibly?)
Should be able to just twist it off it’s base and replace with a heat, but ask the building supervisor in case doing so sets off the alarms.
It won't trigger an alarm but should indicate a fault at the control panel.

If you're altering the design of a fire alarm system to BS5839-1, you should really know what you're doing and as Westward10 says, issue an appropriate certificate.
Otherwise, find out who is responsible for the maintenance of the fire alarm and get them to change the head and issue a certificate. And write it in the log book.

That looks Apollo/Alarmsense, which is a quirky 2 wire system.
I'd agree that the fire alarm will (should) already be maintained by someone- make that bit their problem. It's a simple job for them.
EDIT starting to wonder if it's XP95 addressable - definitely don't touch!

Last edited:
If you can post a picture of the alarm panel someone would be able to help in what's needed with a head swap and commissioning etc.

As for the wiring, same as any other job.

That looks Apollo/Alarmsense, which is a quirky 2 wire system.
I'd agree that the fire alarm will (should) already be maintained by someone- make that bit their problem. It's a simple job for them.
EDIT starting to wonder if it's XP95 addressable - definitely don't touch!
I think he has just plucked that from the internet.

LS0H cables should not be necessary, especially if the existing cables are PVC, unless specified by the local authority for this type of building.
FP/MICC would be th requirement here, not sure if there is a LSOH/LSF variant of FP, or its already LSOH/LSF by construction. Clause 26.2 refers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-173332_Drive.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 15
the fire detector head twists off, leaving the wiring intact in the base. replace with same make, but heat rise. or, as someone has said before, get the Fire Alarm guys to do it. then there's no comeback biting your arse if the brown stuff hits the fan.

Reply to Requirements for a small kitchen in non domestic situation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net