Discuss Fused spur on ring main in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lizlimpet

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All, and thanks in advance for reading my question. I have soent the last 30 mins searching online without an answer to y question.

My kitchen is currently being rewired. The hob is going to run off a fused switched spur. The switched spur is currently wired directly into the kitchen ring so that it up has the ring going through it and then the spur to the hob plug coming off it (so three wires). Am i right in thinking that both wires of the ring (the "in" and the "out") go through the suply side and the single wire to the hob plug come off the load?

Is it ok to do that and would it pass an electrical test ?

TIA20200305_115936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - yes and maybe - but if you don’t mind me asking - have you got the hob already? What make and model is it? If you’re having the kitchen rewired I’d consider putting in a new circuit rather than taking it off the kitchen ring final circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

No I haven't got the hob already, but it will be a basic one.

So just so I understand, if adding the fused spur to the ring you keep both sides of the ring on the supply?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

No I haven't got the hob already, but it will be a basic one.

So just so I understand, if adding the fused spur to the ring you keep both sides of the ring on the supply?

Thanks
Hi Liz,
Are you doing the work yourself?
I expect they do make 13A hobs although I cant remember having come across one.
It sounds like you just want some basic information on how to do it which makes me think your mind is made up and you are going to fit it whatever. However, do be aware that hobs generally use lots of power (more than an oven) and I have only ever fitted them on their own supply.
Could you give the make and model?
Thanks.

Hi!
Apologies, I should have clarified - it will be a gas hob so will just need power for the pizo (sp??).

Does that change your answer?

Thanks

Hi!
Apologies, I should have clarified - it will be a gas hob so will just need power for the pizo (sp??).

Does that change your answer?

Thanks
That makes quite a difference Liz :D .
I tend not to give specific DIY advice so all I'll say is it's fine for a gas ignition to be run from a fused connection unit assuming the ring is in a safe condition.
The difference between you doing it and an electrician is that before adding anything to the ring the electrician would test the continuity of the ring and also the earthing amongst other things to make sure it is safe to be added to. For the sake of £50 it would be worth getting an electrician in just to test it, although they would probably be able to make the connection as well for that price if all the cables and boxes are in place. You would then know for sure that it was all safe rather than just hoping it was.

Your gas hob may come with a plug on it for the igniter. So your sw/f would end up being a single sw socket

Reactions: DPG
Thanks, that's what I've put in! Great to get the reassurance!

Sparky coming tomorrow to test everything:)

Reply to Fused spur on ring main in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net