Discuss Fused spur wired off cooker switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone was looking for some advice on a job that I looked at last night. The house has a new boiler being installed which needs a supply to it. There is an existing cooker switch wired in 6mm on a 30A fuse going to a single socket which the electric oven is plugged into. There is also a switched fused spur directly adjacent to the cooker switch wired in 2.5mm which used to supply an extractor fan. Is it ok to connect the new boiler to this fused spur or is the cooker required to be on its own separate circuit? There is also no RCD protection on the existing old Wylex board which uses bs1361 fuses. Thanks in advance!

can't see a problem here. the FCU is already energised i assume, so you are not making any alterations to the fixed wiring. therefore the lack of RCD is irrelevant. i'd certainly consider upgrading the CU though.

is the boiler going next to the fused spur? if your planning on burying any cable then you need to change it to an rcd spur unless the cable is otherwise protected.

good call. though why should manufacturers specify RCD when nothing in BS7671 calls for one?

Thanks for all the prompt replies I will check the manufacturers instructions later and also advise on upgrading the cu.

If the instructions are from a European/Scandinavian country manufacturer, (and most are these day's) then you can take most of the requirments with a pinch of salt!! Comply with BS7671 and you can't go far wrong....

If the instructions are from a European/Scandinavian country manufacturer, (and most are these day's) then you can take most of the requirments with a pinch of salt!! Comply with BS7671 and you can't go far wrong....

Here we go again... 7671 says to follow man. instructions, so regardless of what we think, it's part of the regs. ;)

Here we go again... 7671 says to follow man. instructions, so regardless of what we think, it's part of the regs. ;)

As i told you before, you're welcome to blindly follow whatever instructions you want too. Those that have a bit of commonsense, will not blindly follow manufacturers instructions that are directing you away from BS 7671 towards other countries requirements.

BS 7671 is not a statutory British standard, it's advisory and guidance/recommendatory oriented, that contradicts itself time and time again throughout the publication.

As i told you before, you're welcome to blindly follow whatever instructions you want too. Those that have a bit of commonsense, will not blindly follow manufacturers instructions that are directing you away from BS 7671 towards other countries requirements.

BS 7671 is not a statutory British standard, it's advisory and guidance/recommendatory oriented, that contradicts itself time and time again throughout the publication.

Please don't tell me that I have no commonsense. Come back and run your own business in this modern England before judging any calls I make!

Aye follow manufactures instructions and comply with bs 7671 . We getting wrapped up here in personal opinions when it clearly states follow manufactures instructions and If there's a problem and goes to court and you can prove you followed bs7671 , you a free man. There won't be much difference.. Between two guides of info .

All manufactures data should be followed but installed within bs7671. Come on it ain't that hard..

Well don't blindly follow manufacturers instructions if they are irrelevant in or to UK requirements....

Running a multi million pound project on the electrical side of things, from breaking ground through to the 1 year maintenance period is a damned sight more onerous than running a sole trader business in the UK, both contractually and legally....

Aye follow manufactures instructions and comply with bs 7671 . We getting wrapped up here in personal opinions when it clearly states follow manufactures instructions and If there's a problem and goes to court and you can prove you followed bs7671 , you a free man. There won't be much difference.. Between two guides of info .

All manufactures data should be followed but installed within bs7671. Come on it ain't that hard..

Now that's a contradiction on it's own!!! lol!! And what do you do if it conflicts with BS 7671?? .....Must follow manufacturers instructions still applies??

Are you being serious here, ...you actually blindly follow any old manufacturers instruction/recommendation. Even after seeing some of the crap these manufacturers issue, in the form of instructions etc on this forum?? This is just a load of scaremongering crap with a capital C!!

It's has NOTHING to do with personal opinion either, Jesus some of these manufactures instructions are so blatantly WRONG, and/or obviously refer to other country regulations, that you could just as well be deemed incompetent by following those instructions. You follow instructions when and where they make sense and broadly follow BS7671 guidelines.

Well don't blindly follow manufacturers instructions if they are irrelevant in or to UK requirements....

Running a multi million pound project on the electrical side of things, from breaking ground through to the 1 year maintenance period is a damned sight more onerous than running a sole trader business in the UK, both contractually and legally....

And I bet that you have all the backup you need if anything goes wrong!!!
What do we have? Daily hassle from customers arguing the ---- about every aspect of our work, more competition than ever before from Electrical Trainee, and scheme providers telling us to follow manufacturers instructions. Of course some of them are ridiculous, and contradictory, but I don't deem the rating of the OPCD in that category.
While I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and experience, it's becoming more apparent recently that you have no respect for anyone who doesn't agree with you!
You may be some bigshot in a multi-million pound setup, but don't belittle how bloody hard it is trying to keep a business going over here, when the only support we have is what we carry in our heads.

What the hell are you talking about, what's making a valid and ongoing point, got to do be with now being classed as a big shot or something.

As far as the backup you're talking about, who do you think is around, that is going to be available to back me up??

Well anything I've installed it gives uk instructions and says competent electrician and install within local wiring regs and
and even
mention bs 7671 in most case . And says this MUST BE EARTHED! Old codgers

Reply to Fused spur wired off cooker switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net