Discuss general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and money) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and mo

As Trev said, just search 'Electrical Trainee' in the forum and you'll kinda get the jist of it.

its a perfectly acceptable course for a kitchen fitter to just move 1 or 2 things and get the basics coverd. Customers of the course are brainwashed into thinking that they are qualified sparks at the end of it.

I think the college will tell you the real deal tho. If you told him you wanted to be a spark, he'd send you on the 2357. If you told him your a builder and wanted to do a few bits and bobs then that maybe the reason he's give you the Electrical Trainee course.

Re: general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and mo

so I checked out the courses available at my local college today and they do 2 part time courses, the one that seemed most suited to me was the Certificate of Domestic Electrical Installer Part P. The result of the qualification was 'you will be nominated as a qualified supervisor with a Competent Persons scheme'. Don't quite get what this means I'd be able to do? It hints that this is a course for builders/kitchen fitter who want in the foundation knowledge to commence working as domestic electrician, so it seems like it would suit my needs......anyone had any experience with a similar course?

Also it costs 1327 + vat for 10 weeks part time, is this a fair price?

Says who?

The course you indicate would not give you the skills nor knowledge to be a qualified superviser IMHO

Use your common sense, if you have the choice of a 3-4 yr course or a 5 week course which one do you think will teach you what you need to know, the fast track courses are money generating schemes for quick business courses they have sprung up and flooded the country over the last 10yrs and leave you ill prepared and an unknown danger to yourself and your customers.... the original design of these fast courses was for previously experienced in the trade who needed the papers but they soon realised that with a bit of careful wording they could make a fortune out of innocent joe public. There is simply no way IMHO that you can cram all you need to know and how to practice safely and competently into 5weeks, there are members on here who have done such courses and those who have had previous experience and a need to just trim the edges of their learning have found them useful and become successful , ill even admit a few have such a high passion to learn and become the best have made it but as for the rest ... they ask some really embarrassing questions that they should know as basic, there incompetence shines and I would never employ them or feel comfy having my house rewired by them.... ive met plenty on my travels and its unbelievable the knowledge they lack yet they have papers because a teaching scheme wants to generate profit.... schemes would fail if they made it difficult to pass as no-one would use them in favour of a scheme that has a high pass rate.

If you're genuine Esubmarine then there's a couple of lads on here who are from your neck of the woods, Top Cat and MDJ are the two who immediately spring to mind but I think Kate is down your way too. They all know their stuff and I'm sure they'd be happy to quote you on whatever you need doing which will help you out in the most efficient way. If you're not genuine then why don't you just go away. Apolgies to anyone down that way who I've forgotten to mention

aww blush!! im remembered!!

And I was right, well right ish. I have a memory like a steel trap Kate, a broken steel trap but none the less....:)

My memory these days is similar - except I spell "trap" with a "c" as the first letter. :(

I actually live smack back in between bristol and Glos in a little village! My address is in Gloucestershire. I also part time live in Bristol city centre. All depends where my work is. I get to cover two areas without a massive commute woohoo! I do feel a little privileged that you remembered!

Well without wanting to sound patronising you're one of the few women who post on here so I guess you're a bit of a stand out :)

ESUBMARINE...
my opinion on this...If you know your current sparky well why dont you ask if you can shadow him on every job you have together, get him to teach you up slowly. Your already at the job anyway it will just take up a chunk of your time. Then do the clearly hated 'Electrical Trainee' course. You may have had a bashing on here but its cause its all of our livelyhoods, and it is dangerous work. We are all just trying to say dont bite off more than you can chew it could be fatal!!

Its either that or a 3-4 year course

Well without wanting to sound patronising you're one of the few women who post on here so I guess you're a bit of a stand out :)

Give it a week...the novelty will wear off and you will all wish i would leave!

As long as you don't start talking crap you'll be welcome, but we can take an awful lot of crap. Take a look for lofty's posts or Davidwcockburn, both sadly no longer with us but they were nothing if not entertaining http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated...8&qid=1365708810&sr=8-1&keywords=d+w+cockburn follow that link and you'll be able to share some of Mr Cockburns wisdom

Matter of opinion Trev, sometimes i wonder. Geordie can talk the back legs off a donkey, you seen all the 3 legged donkeys outside his house :rofl:

Matter of opinion Trev, sometimes i wonder. Geordie can talk the back legs off a donkey, you seen all the 3 legged donkeys outside his house :rofl:

Any more cheek like that & I'll take me nonsense back over to the other side. ;)

As long as you don't start talking crap you'll be welcome, but we can take an awful lot of crap. Take a look for lofty's posts or Davidwcockburn, both sadly no longer with us but they were nothing if not entertaining An Illustrated Explanation of Earthed Equipotential Bonding: Amazon.co.uk: D.W. Cockburn: Books follow that link and you'll be able to share some of Mr Cockburns wisdom

Is this genuinely worth a buy?

Is this genuinely worth a buy?
Hell no, read the little bit that amazon allow you to and you'll see that it's written by an idiot. Only buy it if you have absolutely nothing better to do with your cash and fancy a laugh

Kate it's self published, what does that tell you? Read the reviews of it they're probably as funny as the book its self

I only looked at the picture and at the price.

Reply to general builder looking for basic electrical training(without wasting time and money) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net