Discuss genny system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister will be diesel, lovely things.

One thing about large fuel tanks, both diesel and petrol go “sour” after six months or so due to evaporation and settlement.

To keep the engine in condition it needs to be run on load regularly. Otherwise it cokes up. I’ll guarantee it fails when you need it!

Those Listers were very popular for gen sets. The pub that my dad used to go to had its own generator because it was way out in the country. I think I was about 6 years old and liked to watch the genny and listen to it while he was drinking his pint.

A couple of years later, there was a lot of houses being built around us and we kids would wander around the building sites watching the men working - just try doing that nowadays. we saw front tipping dumpers, cement mixers, plaster mixers, saw benches and God knows what else all powered by these Lister diesels. They were air cooled and would run day in & day out rain, hail or shine. You'll find them as the propulsion unit on narrow boats too.

Not sure about white diesel , but by all accounts as from early last year red diesel now has to have a % of bio diesel blended into it .
This has been causing a lot of problems in new machines as it has been gelling up in pipe work and fuel pumps if left to stand for long periods !
We even had a 2012 drier go down last season because the owner had filled it with red at the end of the last season , I eventually found it had jammed up the non return back to the tank .
One of the agricultural dealership's that we do a lot of work with have been pushing an additive that goes into the main holding tank ( and vehicle tanks as well if needed ) , it is meant to kill " fuel bugs" !
By all accounts their is such a thing !!!?

We tend to use bio-free red in the boat for exactly that reason. It's a bit more expensive but available right where we usually moor which makes it more attractive. The tank is quite large relative to the engine consumption so the turnover is fairly slow. Even the most fuel-tolerant diesel engine with heated lines that can burn heavy residual oils, won't work on jelly.

The HR series are aircooled 4-stroke D/I diesels of about 1000cc P/C, widely used for construction plant, gensets, pumps, marine aux. duty & small inland craft propulsion. Also made in watercooled form as the HRW. Long time since I had one of those apart!

I'm basically more used to far larger standby and to a lesser extent prime power gensets. Probably the smallest being 1200 KVA but generally in the 1600 to 2200 KVA either singles or twin sets. My choice of engine for standby duty is the 2 stroke Detroit Diesel. They can't be touched for bringing the load on line in the shortest possible time, totally outclasses any 4 strokers. Wouldn't use a 2 stroker for prime power though, that is definitely the 4 strokers domain....

Lister will be diesel, lovely things.

One thing about large fuel tanks, both diesel and petrol go “sour” after six months or so due to evaporation and settlement.

To keep the engine in condition it needs to be run on load regularly. Otherwise it cokes up. I’ll guarantee it fails when you need it!

Never had any problems with diesel fuel storage to be totally honest, (most of ours were 1 or 2 week bulk storage tanks on the standby sets) and most of the projects i've worked on have been in the hotter climates. Even the old problems of extreme cold affecting fuel oils have been virtually eliminated by the additives they use these days. Yes the engines are/were run regularly, no more than an hour a month (whether they had been in service or not) on in situ 60% load banks.

There's a stabiliser you can buy for petrol that stops it going off that said I got a old bsa d7 bantam and the two stroke fuel in it is over three years old and the old bike runs off it, it must be as combustible as diesel by now
returning to the subject there's no way I can talk my dad to having batteries, l-ion will cost a bomb and acid types will be wrecked every two or three years from the frost and cold weather then there's the inverter and I have never heard of a cheap inverter with a 5kw out put and to sustain that output for just an hour I would need a lot of amp hours on the battery/ 's (or higher voltage depends on what the inverter runs on and requires) where with a petrol genny it's easy if the plug gets coaked up whip it out get a wire brush on it and should be fine (so long as it's a good make plug champion is a brilliant make can forget ngk plugs, in the three years I had my first car I only had to swap the plugs once which was from ngk to champion) and exhausts don't really coak up its two stroke engines that are horrible for coaking up the exhaust

what I will do later today is ill drag off the rubbish on my genny get it's details google them and get all the info about it then post on here that information if it's not suitable for my purpose but can be made suitable then if it's not more costly to sort the existing genny than get one Allready suited then I'll go down that road

Save your self a headache and get a battery bank and inverter, if you wanted chuck a couple solar panels in to recharge batteries

I'm sure he would, if you care to pay out for them!! As i stated earlier, check out the cost of those batteries, and then add the cost of solar panels/inverter system!!

I'll take a look
any ideas where the best place is to look google is sending me in circles how ever I found one 4.4kw that can be charged by a generator or solar and even charges it's self off the mains and has a built in ats

Last edited:
I'll take a look

You would be far better off looking at the cost of that Lister driven genset, and with only 400 run hours... That set-up will probably give you years and years of worry free service with minimum but adequate maintenance... Still may be well out of you're price range mind!! lol!!

The battery/inverter route is a non starter unless you have the storage space with a free or forced airflow, to cater for the amount of batteries you'll require, even if it's designed for 3KW for 3 hours. Anything under 3 hours, and you're basically wasting your time, as far as covering power outages for a domestic setting...

Looking at that battery backup system I found I don't think it will be practical a battery back up our main fuse is right above the door in the kitchen
i could probibly squeeze a manual change over switch or a ats in the box everything is in

but I got a picture of the plaque thats on the alternator of the genny sorry its upside down strangely that's how it is on the alternator I'll keep looking to try and find the manufacturers data sheet have also found something that may be of interest (looks like the code number to its cirtificate of compliance also in attached images)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We had a problem with our diesel once, there was a 'bug' in one of the tanks, a virus which grows in the diesel. There is a very cheap additive that we now put in all our diesel tanks, a 25ml bottle costs around £13 and treats 1000lts.
Some lighthouses would have 30,000 litres of diesel which we don't want to be affected by the bug,,i'll post details of the treatment here tomorrow if any one wants it.

Hi Phil yeah post it I'm quite intreeged never heard of a bug in diesel before even a local farmer who scrapped his tractor with a tank of diesel for ten years didn't get this big in the tank
then again it was probibly proper cherry diesel in it but he dragged the old girl out the nettles and she soon struck up

Ahh
them common rail diesel engines are amazingly efficient my dads 2002 volvo s80 2.4 automatic turbo diesel does 40mpg to work and back (short distance) and took it to Cornwall it averaged 61.8 mpg unbelievable for a 2.4 auto car

We had a problem with our diesel once, there was a 'bug' in one of the tanks, a virus which grows in the diesel. There is a very cheap additive that we now put in all our diesel tanks, a 25ml bottle costs around £13 and treats 1000lts.
Some lighthouses would have 30,000 litres of diesel which we don't want to be affected by the bug,,i'll post details of the treatment here tomorrow if any one wants it.

Yes post the treatment details it'll be an interesting read!!

It sure will engineer
did you have a look at them pictures I put up in post #51 mate?
Im still looking for data on the genny if there's anything in particular you need to know I'll try and find it

It sure will engineer
did you have a look at them pictures I put up in post #51 mate?
Im still looking for data on the genny if there's anything in particular you need to know I'll try and find it

I did, that certificate of compliance does not seem to be applicable to your 6 KVA genset. An internal wiring diagram would be helpful. You'll also need to confirm or otherwise, if this genny uses a floating earth system.

Reply to genny system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net